Help on buying a laptop.

G

Hello,
I am looking to buy a laptop for university next year, and dont want to spend more than £1100.

I will not have a desktop so this will be my only PC, I also will be using it without wires sometimes so would prefer a good battery life. Would like one of the new I3,I5 or I7 cores but if getting a C2 Duo will reduce costs will consider it if performance is going to be the same.

Screen size is improtant for lugging it around, would like a 13" one, but may accept 15" if it reduces costs.

Like the look of the sony ranges, seen the EB,S,F and CW ranges so far but dont know what I need.Also looked at the Toshiba Satellite U500-1CN which has been reduced to £799 from £1225 on the Toshiba webstite. what do you think of this?

I will not be playing games, if I do it will only be like Football Manager. Will be watching movies so a good screen will be nice, and preferably a non reflective one due to using outstide.

Will also be burning and converting dvd's from AVI to DVd Format.

Main use will be internet surfing, and word processing, producing presentation in powerpoint etc. Would a mac be good?

Are there any models you reccomend, or the processor I should use and memory size as I multitask alot.

Thanks for your help.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I recommend the Macbook (or Macbook Pro). Not only is it highly ergonomic (chiclet keyboard, ambient light sensor, backlit keyboard, easy opening , but also VERY thin and Light.

If you have the money to spend, a Mac is definitely worth it for a student.

OTHERWISE. a VAIO E or CW is GREAT.

G

Looks good, but a bit heavy for carrying around? I think that maybe a 13"/14" screen will be better.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Macbook pro would probably be a good choice for you.

Light, long battery life, durable and a good screen.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTAyNTQzMzk

If you can wait until you've started your studies, apple gives a 10% discount to students. By then, the macbook pro will probably also have been upgraded to newer hardware.

There are not that many 13" or smaller notebooks with iX cpus out there. i know there are some,for example Lenovo have a few, but Lenovo lappys are the ugliest creations since the dawn of time:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=4922F3BB4CA3495C81868D5187ACE74A

G

Hi, thanks for the info. I am currently at college so can get the student discount, or is it more when im at uni?

Also does anyone know when the 13.3 inch macbook pro will be updated to I processor, as dont want to buy one. Then it get updated the next month.

Thanks

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

True, they can take a beating, have a T-series as a work computer. Have dropped it, spilled coffee on it, run around with it on and been generally abusive with it... it just keeps going...

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hi, thanks for the info. I am currently at college so can get the student discount, or is it more when im at uni?

Also does anyone know when the 13.3 inch macbook pro will be updated to I processor, as dont want to buy one. Then it get updated the next month.

Thanks

The discount is the same.

Noone knows exactly when it will be updated, but it is expected to happen very soon. Actually, many even expected them to be upgraded in february. One theories is that apple did not want to steal any publicity from the iPad. There are also rumours of price cuts when the new macbook is launched...

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guider