Help picking a 2 in 1

HaZarDouS PsYcO

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I need help choosing a good 2 in 1 laptop. I have liked the looks of the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Yoga 3 Pro, but I have heard mixed reviews on which is better. I am open to suggestions but they must have a 1080p or higher resolution and Windows to run some of the programs I need. I prefer performance and portability over battery life as our area has plenty of outlets. Thanks for the help.

Solution
Ultrabooks and 2-in-1 laptops do not use quad core CPUs because they consume too much power (around 47w vs 15w) and produce too much heat for a thin chassis design. That also means they would be loud because the fan would be constant run at max RPM. The exceptions would be ultrabooks and 2-in-1 laptops with the quad core Pentium N CPUs which are based on the Atom line of CPUs. That means they consume very little power and have much lower performance than the Core i3/i5/i7.

Lastly, Intel will be selling 48 different mobile Broadwell CPUs all of which are dual core CPUs with hyper threading.

bruhthakuga

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
I am also looking to buy an two in one (360 Flip) laptop, currently I am considering the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7348)
5th Gen. Intel Core i7-5500U (dual core)
Windows 8.1
500GB Hybrid Hard Drive
13.3" Full HD 10 point touch screen
Full size spill-resistant backlit keyboard
8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/pd?oc=dncww5013s&model_id=inspiron-13-7348-laptop
A concern I have is the dual core, yes it's an I7 but if they upgrade this model in April to four cores how will I feel?

Also is there a fourth gen. with four cores and similarl features that out perform better?

Ultrabooks and 2-in-1 laptops do not use quad core CPUs because they consume too much power (around 47w vs 15w) and produce too much heat for a thin chassis design. That also means they would be loud because the fan would be constant run at max RPM. The exceptions would be ultrabooks and 2-in-1 laptops with the quad core Pentium N CPUs which are based on the Atom line of CPUs. That means they consume very little power and have much lower performance than the Core i3/i5/i7.

Lastly, Intel will be selling 48 different mobile Broadwell CPUs all of which are dual core CPUs with hyper threading.

Solution

bruhthakuga

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
So what are you saying, that "fullsize" laptops with Intel CPUs will either have quad core desktop CPUs or be dual core?

What about the BIG F A T seventeen inch desktop replacement laptops?

As stated, all mobile Broadwell generation CPUs manufactured by are dual core CPUs.

As far as I am aware (based on Intel 2015 Roadmaps from Nov. 2014) there will not be any desktop versions of Broadwell generation CPUs. This makes sense because Skylake is expected to be released in H2 2015 so having both Broadwell and Skylake CPUs sold in the same year will just cannibalize sales.

"Fullsize" laptops will be using either mobile Broadwell CPUs or mobile Haswell CPUs (dual core and quad core).