Help Picking Out The Perfect LapTop

tiptricky

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Alright guys i need a new laptop for school and would like to be able to game on it between classes. I play all kinds of games and perfer med/high settings with 30fps or so. I also want to make payments on it so i can build credit and not have to pay straight up. I currently have next to no credit being 18 and just got a job recently so this makes it much harder to find a place to get a laptop. Theres Aarons but the laptops they have dont seem to great. You guys have any ideas?

Solution
Can you get your one of your parents to co-sign for a credit card?

The credit card will be under your name, but both you and your parent will be liable to make payments. If you default on making payments then both your own and your parent's credit rating will take a hit and creditors will go after both of you. I think all that is necessary (other than a willing parent) is documentation proving that both of you are employed.

There's also an option for a secured credit card. These types of cards requires that you have a cash deposit though, but does not require you to have a co-signer. If have enough savings then you can use some of that to open up a secured credit card account. If not then perhaps your parents can "loan" you the money...

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Try the MSI GS70 stealth. While I don't know about the credit thing, it's thin, light (for a gaming laptop anyway) and has a nice, large screen. Can't remember the battery life for that model, but it will carry you through a class assuming you charge in between. If you want battery life, try the MSI GE60 or GE70. Those both get something like 6 hours.

Sorry I can't help with the credit, but i hope the systems i recommend are helpful.

P.S. The GE60s can be quite cheap for what you're getting, around $1200 for i7 processor, 765M graphics card and 8GB RAM with 750GB hard drive.

Can you get your one of your parents to co-sign for a credit card?

The credit card will be under your name, but both you and your parent will be liable to make payments. If you default on making payments then both your own and your parent's credit rating will take a hit and creditors will go after both of you. I think all that is necessary (other than a willing parent) is documentation proving that both of you are employed.

There's also an option for a secured credit card. These types of cards requires that you have a cash deposit though, but does not require you to have a co-signer. If have enough savings then you can use some of that to open up a secured credit card account. If not then perhaps your parents can "loan" you the money. Generally speaking, if you make regular payments on time them the deposit on the secured credit card will be returned to you in as little as 12 months and your secured credit card is converted over into a regular credit card. However, that also depends on your income as well.

All banks and likely some credit unions will allow you open a secured credit card account. Here's a link to Bank of America for example:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card.go

You do not want to pay the minimum amount every month because you are going to be charged a relatively high interest rate (20.24% annual for Bank of America, using simplistic math that means 1.67% per month). If you want to stretch out your payments; assuming the only thing you will be buying with the credit card; is to pay as much back as you can for the first several months, then reduce you monthly payment to stretch out the payments. This way you are not paying too much in interest and you are still building up your credit.

Solution