Help please! (Buying refurbished) Asus ROG G65J or Lenovo Y510p SLI

lenian

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hi everyone. this is my first post. I've narrowed down my choices to these two models cause i found some secondhand sellers here in my area.

i know these are not the newest and top of the line models out today, but getting these two for a secondhand price will be the best deal for me. i live in a country where electronics have a big fat "duties and taxes" fee, so i cant enjoy your less-than-1000USD-budget-gaming-laptops brand new. haha.

hope you can help me. im kinda in the medium / slightly above novice level with understanding gaming stuff. haha thanks! here are the specs of both for the same price range (45k PHP ~ 1k USD)

Asus ROG G65J
i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz
GTX 760M 2GB
1TB HDD
8GB RAM

Lenovo Y510p
i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz
Dual GT 750M SLI
250 GB SSD
8GB RAM

now here are the answers to some questions..

1) What is your budget?
= less than Php 45,000 or around 1k USD. please note that i live in the philippines. brand new laptops here are expensive. prices for example in newegg compared to the mall price here is 100-200USD cheaper. anyways...

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
= Mainstream; 15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
= Philippines

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS, Lenovo
b. Dislike: MSI (tends to get crappy with the build over time)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
= yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
= heavy photoshop and video rendering, and games of course

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
= both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
= big yes. thats why i opted to buy a gaming laptop than an office one.. games like farcry 3, tomb raider, gta5, skyrim, resident evil, like that..

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
= doesnt matter i guess. since i will be plugged in while using it. lets just say 2-3 hrs off the plug is max

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
= yes i'd like to feel how my hands touch the keys etc.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
= win7. but i can adjust to win8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy..
= 1920x1080 would be okay i guess

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
= matte would be nice. but its not a big deal

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
= yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
= end of jan 2015

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
= 3-4 yrs maybe

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
= yes. 500gb would be nice for files. or i can just have an external

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
= not a big deal

Solution
No problem, happy to help :)

While I am here, you can see this for good comparison too:
GTX 760M:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-760M.92068.0.html

GTX 750M SLI:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M-SLI.91280.0.html

This shows FPS performance from the graphics cards in the two laptops. The GTX 750M is using SLI with two of the GTX 750M GPUs just like the Lenovo laptop above. I don't think I see any games that the GTX 750M SLI ends up being faster than the GTX 760M.

Enjoy your new laptop :)

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Sorry didn't read through everything, but from the specs of those two laptops I would get the Asus ROG G65J laptop. Asus is typically good quality. The CPUs between the two aren't much difference, but the GPU is better. The Lenovo has two GPUs in it, but it runs in SLI, which only is really a big help in games optimized for it and sometimes can even give lower performance. Not to mention producing more heat and using more power with two of them. Its better to have just the one faster GPU.

The SSD is a nice feature of the Lenovo, but that can always be changed later and HDDs aren't so bad so I would just get the ASUS and upgrade the SSD later if you feel you need it.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
No problem, happy to help :)

While I am here, you can see this for good comparison too:
GTX 760M:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-760M.92068.0.html

GTX 750M SLI:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M-SLI.91280.0.html

This shows FPS performance from the graphics cards in the two laptops. The GTX 750M is using SLI with two of the GTX 750M GPUs just like the Lenovo laptop above. I don't think I see any games that the GTX 750M SLI ends up being faster than the GTX 760M.

Enjoy your new laptop :)

Solution