Help please, pc suddenly shut off

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Ok so, I was playing Hearthstone and all of a sudden my pc shut off. And I don't mean shut off instantly, a few of my apps shut down, then everything closed 1 by 1, i tried clicking the start button to close it, but it kept practically closing(like if i hit the start button then click to somewhere else and it goes away). This can't be hardware, got a brand new PSU recently and everything was fine.(using Win7). Then it booted itself up again but I force shut it down. I mean, it wouldve been somehow fine if it just shut down, but I had no control over anything. Should I scan for rootkits? Should I even turn on the pc? Pretty scared, never seen this happen before.

Solution

Glad to hear it was not a virus. Have a good weekend.

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
It could be a Windows Update. I know my Windows 7 desktop had a force restart because of an update overnight when I was leaving it on to mine a bit. To double check you could go to windows update on your computer and check to see if any updates were installed on the date it shut off by itself.

If you are scared about viruses I would get a flash drive and download Malwarebytes or your preferred virus scanner on a different computer. Then take out the ethernet cable out of your computer and turn it on. After and if it turns on, install the virus scanner and let it do its work. Hopefully it finds nothing and you will be good to go with peace of mind.

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I do have malwarebytes installed, I'll do a full scan tomorrow, I did do an windows update yesterday(service pack 1) but I'm pretty damn sure automatic updates are off, hopefully I find nothing and my computer went full retard, but for some reason, it looked like a program or even an actual person to me

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
But if it was the case I guess my accounts would be compromised by now, not all of them, but some, I checked and they're fine, wait, does "Logging off" appear when you shut down normally?

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah the logoff message is normal. Usually it is pretty quick unless your computer is closing a bunch of background applications or is preparing for an update.

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
If it does find something, malwarebytes SHOULD be able to remove it right? If it finds nothing, hope it doesnt' happen again because I guess that'll be hardware somehow? I mean, the whole problem is, something about how it happened felt really off.

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah if malwarebytes finds something it will take it off. It's likely that the shutdown happened so slowly because you were in the middle of playing a game, plus the computer may have been doing an update, so the computer had a lot to chew through to get to a shutdown state. Do the scan and if comes up clean, chalk it up to Windows update and keep an eye on the computer to make sure no more funny business goes on.

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
It'll take a while for a full scan, so for now, what was the command to check event logs? I'll try looking at those. And normally, wouldnt it bring you to the screen that says some apps are preventing windows from shutting down? Or is it different for updates? Well, gotta go now, thanks!

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Sorry do not know the command for the event logs. Microsoft has some instructions: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766401(v=ws.11).aspx

Usually the preventing apps screen only comes up if you have something open that prompts when you are closing the program, like an unsaved word or excel file. If you did not have any programs open that give out a prompt during shutdown, or error out due to Windows closing out, Windows should just close them out at its own pace and not ask you if you want to continue shutting down.

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Thanks! Uhm, do you think I shouldve let it turn on again? In the heat of the moment, I think I took the safest bet. Uh, Discord usually needs to be closed manually, but this time it just closed beforehand, so I don't know

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Take the ethernet cable out and go ahead and turn it back on and see what happens. No matter what happens you will have to turn your computer on again, so let's start there. The only other option I can think of is to take out the hard drive and scan it on a second computer, but even that may not be a good idea if it is a virus that can somehow jump hard drives.

ShadowFall55

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Alright, no rootkits, checked the event log and apparently avira initiated a restart to apply an update, I did not know it could do this and it didnt even ask me if I wanted to, pretty damn sure its not a name coincidence because an update was downloaded for avira 30 sec before the restart. Well I guess ill uninstall it and get a better one, couldnt even find the update settings. <<watch the language please>> you avira

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

Glad to hear it was not a virus. Have a good weekend.

Solution

bman00010

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

bman00010

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
It probably overheated and shut itself down, type what happen in YouTube and get solution.

<<Please do not post in all caps. There is no need to YELL. Thank you.>>