Help regarding "Plastic Atrophy"

Mossman1

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I used to own a Lenovo Z500 that is now, while in the hands of my family, more often in the hands of my sister. As of when I had retired my laptop to them, there were no physical deformities when giving it away, for I had to give it in decent looking condition. Anyway, today I looked at the sides of the laptop to find its plastic to be "gnawed" off or pulled off with some foreign object or fingernails or something. Whatever it is, my sister claims it wasn't her fault that something like that happened and blames it on it being "too old, maybe it just broke apart". I'm not that daft and there is something to it, but given that the laptop was nearly 4 years old, I'm considering if there is a possibility of 'Plastic Atrophy' and that I had never experienced such a case since I owned it for 3 out of its nearly 4 years of usage, if the plastic did just fall apart due to it being simply too old. I need your help as a friend referred me this website, is there anything you can figure out? Thanks.