Solved! Help Replacing a Video Card in an Acer Product

SRamdas1787

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Basically, one day my computer started showing weird green "static" on the left side. Two days later, the entire screen was going haywire when I turned the computer on. I know the PC functions fine since I can just barely "see through" the blurry imagery to see what I usually see when I boot up and I can even sign in with my password.

My model is a Acer Aspire 5600U which I know is an All in One and not a laptop, but I do know (at least I think) that the all in ones use cards like the laptop models. I know this used a GeForce GT 630M, but I think i'd like to replace it with something more powerful. My budget range can be anywhere between $100 to $300, though if possible, i'd like to remain under $200 (i'm willing to look at a number of options). I'm not expecting high performance gaming, but if I can get something pretty above average, i'm willing to settle.

The issue is that I've never had to do anything like this before and i'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff. I don't know where to start looking for these kinds of graphics cards (all I see are the larger ones for towers when I look) and don't even know what kind of model i'm looking for. I'd be grateful for as much help as possible.

SRamdas1787

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

I haven't opened my PC yet as I am still weighing my options before I decide what to do. I wanted to at least know what kind of card i'd need, if i'd need to replace my entire CPU, or whatnot before I did any actual work.

I don't even know what my options would be if it is soldered in. Does that mean i'd have to send the computer to Acer at that point or is my situation hopeless at that point? Sorry, like I said, this is all new to me.

SRamdas1787

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

I had assumed with was a problem with the card since nothing else seems to be wrong. Through the fuzzy imagery, I can sort of see that everything else seems fine. I can even log in to my PC. It just seems to be the image that's gone bad. And there are no issues to the screen at all as it has no damage done to it nor is there any reason for me to believe damage has been done to the screen. I've also heard that green fuzzy static appearing was a sign of a video card having gone bad (or a bad connection, but this is an all in one and I don't seem to have that problem).

Is there a possibility that the problem could be something else?

Thanks for all of your help, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Not sure how much help I can be, actually. Any idea if your pc utilizes Optimus to automatically switch between the integrated graphics of the CPU, and the discrete graphics card (630m)?

EDIT: Nevermind. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Optimus is only used to save battery power in laptops.