Help selecting 7.1 Wireless Headset!

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hi Guys,

I spent hours last week looking for the perfect headset!

Basically, i needed a good quality surround sound (preferably 7.1 or at least 5.1) wireless headset that connects with the PC to play games, but should also be able to connect to the AV Receiver for movies/console gaming. A huge bonus would be if it comes with a charging stand! Also Bluetooth enabled would be another plus!

There was a few that i looked at that all had there advantages and disadvantages. On the PC im going to be using the 7.1 onboard motherboard sound card. Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Choices:

Corsair Vengence 2000, as that atleast does the PC part correct, but then realised its a USB enabled wireless headset. Hence, im not so sure if this will connect with an AVR and still offer surround sound such as dolby and/or DTS.

Sony MDRDS6500, which would connect with the PC and the AVR to offer 7.1 audio in HQ! However, then i would be missing a mic, which im sure would be useful and needed for PC gaming.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Tango! This is a branded Call Of Duty exclusive headset, which i found is also the best quality of all the turtle beach headsets. It offers both a wireless headset experience for console gaming and for PC. One massive feature is that it has bluetooth aswell, so i can use it with my iPhone. This is great for when I'm immersed in the Oculus Rift VR kit and i receive a phone call, i will be able to hear the call within the headset.

I also looked at:
Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset
Astro A50

I then went ahead and ordered the Turtle Beach Tango's as they seemed like a good all-rounder! However, Im having a real issue with the headphones!

I thought i would try it out on my few months old htpc system (as my new system hasnt arrived yet), however i can not get any sound output from the windows machine onto my headset!

I plug in the optical cable (onboard realtek audio card) from the htpc motherboard to the wireless headset receiver. I select the headset in the Audio devices list on the pc. But playing a video in VLC outputs no sound, wierd thing is though if i try play individual sample files under audio devices to make sure that the sample rates work, the tests produce sound to the headset! However, if i do a test sound of the whole audio device, i get nothing!

I then actually found this guide here:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830517212/

It says to enable surround sound audio my sound card has to support Dolby Digital Live! Other issues with this headset is that even with the sound card i think Dolby is supported but not DTS - which could cause issues when playing some games/watching films.

Im looking at returning the headset by tomorrow and looking at another option.

Basic requirements are still:

- 7.1 Surround Sound (or atleast 5.1).
- Mic for pc gaming.
- High quality audio.
- Around ear headphones (so will be somewhat large).
- Wireless (A must have - due to me wanting to use this with the Oculus Rift VR Kit). Need to minimise wires as much as possible.

As for connections:
PC is a must! I only have onboard 7.1 sound card.
It would be great if i can take this same headset and plug it in my AV receiver (either the head jack, Aux port, optical etc...) so that whatevers being input into the AVR can be output to my headphones wirelessly. So for example, if I'm playing ps3 i get the ps3 sound to headphones, if i then change to xbox or bluray player - then that sound comes from AVR to Headphones in Dolby, DTS or whatever the source is outputting.

Now any one know of a headset such as the above? or even close to as possible (wireless and surround sound is a MUST!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I don't have a recommendation, but I can tell you to avoid the Corsair. I recently bought a Corsair 1500 and RMAd it the same day I got it. The speakers would make a real high pitched whine whenever the mic was being used. It seems all their USB headsets do that.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Hmm, thanks for the warning. Although that sounds a bit weird, maybe a defective unit? All the reviews I've seen of the Corsair have been extremely positive!

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Ive also heard alot of talk about how 7.1 and surround sound headsets are gimmicky and that i should just concentrate on buying a excellent stereo headset instead.

However, I'm not entirely sure if this is true or not.

For example, like i stated earlier - i purchased the Turtle Beach Tango's (which does virtual surround sound) , now i already have a superb stereo headset - Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones.

I connected both these headsets to my iPhone the other day (Bose with the cable, the tangos via wireless bluetooth), i then went on to youtube and played a high quality 7.1 audio file. The difference to be honest was light and day! With the Tango's it sounded so real, i could hear people come right up close to me from behind and then walk around me- it really gave me the full immersion factor with my eyes closed.

Now i tried the same on the Bose and quite frankly - the experience was nowhere near the same.

However, yes when playing stereo music etc.. then the Bose headphones win easily, especially with the bass.

You see thats why im so confused as to what i should go for! I really like and want to keep the Tango's (thanks to its awesome bluetooth connectivity), however can not do cause of the problem with connecting the receiver to the PC without a new sound card and the lack of DTS support (which im still not sure if its minor or a major problem)

If im going to struggle to find one with all my requirements. Hence, shall I simplify it and say I'm looking for the Best quality 7.1 virtual surround sound Wireless headset for PC ONLY? (we can forget about connecting to the AV Receiver).

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Well I assumed it would be a good quality headset since it was Corsair so I didn't look up reviews, but after I got it and noticed the problem I did. There are forums full of people with the same problem and RMAing them to get new units with the exact same problem and Corsair mods telling the users they are making it all up.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Ah i see, is that on the 1500 model? I wonder if it still applies to the wireless 2000 model too then?

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Yeah that was the 1500. I was debating on getting the 1300 because that is analog, but I'm a little annoyed with Corsair now. I have no idea if the 2000 is the same, but it is USB so you should watch out for it.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

ok thanks, anyway i don't think Corsair is going to cut it for my requirements!

Anyone, what headset should i be looking at that somewhat matches my requirements?

Thanks

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
To be honest, ive had a good think about this - considering I already have a superb pair of Bose Quite Comfort 2 headset which is one of the best for stereo im going to go for a purely gaming surround wireless headset.

i think im going to go with one of the following two:

Logitech g930
Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3D and Omega Wireless Headset

However, i can not decide which one to go for out of the two! Which is the problem im having

After looking at various youtube videos, i think the creative one looks like it can work with both my pc and AV Receiver for the xbox/ps3.

However, im not to sure on the audio quality between the two! The creative one comes with its own USB sound card that can be used with the consoles aswell. But to be honest PC gaming is my main priority to get right, hence id prefer a headset with the best surround sound audio quality for pc out of the two choices!
The logitech has got a lot of rave reviews especially since its quite cheap and has tech to match price.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions of the better one to go for?

ghastlly

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I've actually owned both of these headsets, and while the Creative does work with a ps3 xbox360 and PC, I like the Logitech G930's better. The G930's have good sound quality, which I found to be better than the Creatives, and I found that I could wear them for longer periods of time. I've owned the G930's for a little over two years now, and they still work well, and I wear them nearly every day for long periods of time. The leatherette on the pads has worn off by now, and they don't sell replacements. The G930's are very comfortable, but can hurt if you wear glasses with them for long periods. The wireless works well most times, but every once in a while it will cut out for a few seconds, and then reconnect, which can get very annoying, especially if talking to someone on Skype or such. The low battery beep starts earlier than it should in my opinion,(i find that sometimes i can still use them for an hour or two after the first warning.

The Creative headset i had for a short period of time, but when I had them they did not work perfectly(The software did not work, no matter how many re installs I did, I even contacted support and they just made the problem worse, so I returned them, rather fed up) but the sound quality was pretty good. Personally I didn't like the detachable mic, one because it didn't seem very well made, and also the fact that i couldn't ever really leave it in and just move it to the side. The wireless on the headset worked well. In terms of comfort, they were very comfortable if you put on both ear-cups at the same time,(I will sometimes only use one ear-cup as people often try to talk to me when I am at my computer) but can be uncomfortable with just one. The battery beep on this headset is very annoying, and does not happen soon enough, it also turns off when you plug it in after beeping, which is annoying.

I'm sure by now you have already chosen a headset but this is my opinion. I hope this can help someone out.

stressmaster

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
oct 24th 2013
I hear the Brand new turtle beach PX51 is currently the best on the market. It is basically the same hardware as you would get direct from doby but with a much wide range of EQ lists. it has only been out for about 3 months now and cost 270ish but my friend has it connected to the optical out on his TV and all counsels are connected via HDMI and he is playing at least 5.1 surround and 7.1 in most movies. he also said that he bought for 70ish a creative sound blaster x-fi titanium "http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-PCI/M/B001E25KDK.htm" for his pc as it has optical in and out and every other bell or whistle you need for 7.1 it even takes stereo and makes it 7.1 output though the card. the card does need a pcie x1 or x8 or x16 slot but it works beautifully I have heard it and I just ordered the card and px51 the px51 also has a additional optical out so you can have more then one system hooked up in tandem and has a 15 run time and a 3 hour full charge time.

In conclusion get rid of the onboard sound card and get a x-fi titanium. Also get a PX51 to try you most likely will not be disappointed and you PC should run a bit better since you no longer have the onboard sound enabled. This makes sure that all sound even 2 channel stereo is up scaled to 7.1 on the pc without configuring every codex to output 5.1 or 7.1 (reason way you do not get sound from VLC)

RandBrocker2014

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I have worn out my current Sennheiser TR 130's but they are pure and magnificent. So I am going to get them again, they are not as expensive as the Pioneer SE-DIR800C but they do sound superb. I use them for film, but gaming and 'normal' audio work great as well.
They are truely superb. They have special ones for gaming which a friend of mine bought and he is very, very happy with them

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Just an update after a few years since i purchased my headphones.

I ended up buying the Turtle Beach Ear Force Tango Headset.

To be honest i am not that happy with them, they failed to give me a good experience :(

I hooked them up to my PC mainly all the time use them for VR with the HTC Vive and have them connected via Optical Lead.

They do give nice sound and really nice volume control.

However, there are far too many negatives:

The headset weight is too much.

The main issue that happens is that i keep getting the headset to turn off after a while, randomly! Sometimes, even when audio is being transmitted to the headset, it will just turn itself off. I then have to turn it back on again manually by pressing the button. This can take a good 5-10 secs for the whole process, missing very important dialogue or instructions in a vr game. :(

I have not found anyway to prevent this from happening.