Help selecting a new laptop

menelmacar18

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
1_What is your budget?
preferrably under $1600

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-16"
3_What screen resolution do you want?
unsure

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement
laptop?
a bit of both, mostly a DR, but I'd like to be able to take it with me as needed, particularly on the occasional flight.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Decent not spectacular
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to play some games at medium to high, and have it last a while in terms of playing future games at least on low to medium

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
WAtching movies, video editing, some photo editing, perhaps a bit of 3d animation
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not a ton, i have external drives I can use for big projects/collections

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
These are 3 configurations i was looking at:
a Msi force 1651 @ xoticpc.com
a PowerPro I 7:15 @ powernotebooks.com
a HP dv6t quad edition configured Thusly: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&email_id=1140017&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
several years at least 2.5 to 3 maybe more

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray
ROM/Writer,Etc ?
multidrive is fine I don't need blu-ray player or writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
none really, though i had a bad experience with my last Toshiba
13_What country do you live in?
US
14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'd like to get a core i7 as I feel it will last me longer, of the configs here I'm leaning toward the HP because of price and I can get 10-15% cashback through bing if I catch it on the right day. I worry about the graphics card as I can't seem to get any info on it there are no benchmarks at Notebook check just that the 250M in the other 2 is at 22 and the
GT 230M is at 41.
I also wonder if the screen resolution(1366x768 in the HP vs. 1680 x 1050 WSXGA in the other 2) and card are enough superior to make one of the others a better choice even at $400- 600 more.

^The two units from Xotic and PowerNotebooks are actually the same units. If you want to game, they would be better choices than the HP machine. I do also agree that the screen on the HP is a weak point, to me it's too low for a 15'' laptop. It would be pixelated.

This is also a better choice: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g51ja1-p-2674.html?wconfigure=yes

More expensive, but the GTX 260M is also substantially better the the GT 240.

menelmacar18

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

They were just spamming I assume.

TRENDING THREADS