Solved! Help!! Slow laptop after fresh install

I_like_pies

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone. I have a Median Erazer X7849 Laptop

I wanted to remove all my old games and apps by doing a fresh install. I installed the latest windows 10 ISO and now the laptop is very slow.
The specs are:
I7 6700HQ
GTX 1070
32GB DDR4
256GB SSD
2x 1TB HDD

I have tried resetting and reflashing both old and new versions of Windows 10. Both the same. Tried defragging all hard drives and made no difference. Full scans on avast, malwarebytes and Windows defender bring up nothing. Used both HDDsentinal and crystal disk info and both say the hard drives are good. Only thing I'm concerned about is the read write speeds of the SSD. But I was messing about with the laptop while it was completing the test. Even installed Windows to one of the other drives to see if the SSD was dying, but still slow. Any help will be appreciated.

Solution
What make SSD? Samsung? What happens is they go super fast until you fill the cache and then the write speed will drop as it has to wait for memory to be written before it can transfer more. That is the advantage of larger SSD, the more space they have, the bigger the cache and the longer they can go max speed before they slow down.

Have you tested the two other drives to see if they are okay, try running HDTune on the hdd, and look on the Health tab and let it complete a smart scan.

CrazyDingo

Estimable
May 1, 2015
When you did your fresh install, did you have the HDDs disconnected? Otherwise, they will effectively become system disks as well (which you don't want) and slow things down.
Also, drivers as mentioned above from latest device manufacturers, microsoft/windows supplied only if others not available, preferred.

I_like_pies

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
Yeah I have installed all latest drivers. In regards to unplugging the old HDD'S, I didn't but if I go into HDD partitions, there is no storage used on either HDD'S unless there is a hidden partition or something

CrazyDingo

Estimable
May 1, 2015
Hmm, maybe Coliff or someone else can help on this - I strongly suspect if you had the HDDs connected when you installed to the SDD the windows installation media will have put material on them (a hidden recovery partition perhaps?).
Whenever I install an OS I only have the target system drive connected.

I_like_pies

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
Ok I will try when I get home. Hopefully will sort the issue. I have done a fresh install before which went ok but that was without one of the HDD'S being in so hopefully might be the issue

Colif

Distinguished
it will only put the data on extra hdd if there is enough space. seems 129mb isn't enough as I did a clean install yesterday and had 129mb unallocated space on a hdd but windows just put its boot partition on ssd instead.

looking in disk management would confirm if it had done this, the EFI partition should be on C

Try running this and see what scores are - http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/as_ssd_benchmark.html

I_like_pies

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
Seems to be running ok now. Did another install without the other two HDD and now runs better. Still a little slow but much quicker. Disk usage down to less than 10% Getting over 400mb on sequential read and write but only on 1GB goes down to less if I put it on 2gb or more. Is that normal?

Colif

Distinguished
What make SSD? Samsung? What happens is they go super fast until you fill the cache and then the write speed will drop as it has to wait for memory to be written before it can transfer more. That is the advantage of larger SSD, the more space they have, the bigger the cache and the longer they can go max speed before they slow down.

Have you tested the two other drives to see if they are okay, try running HDTune on the hdd, and look on the Health tab and let it complete a smart scan.

Solution