Help with a new small and cheap HTPC, please.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I know that I have posted here before, but I am in need of a new HTPC. My last one fried and I need to build another one. I don't really have a budget, but I really need it to be as cheap as possible...if that makes any sense. All I need it to do is run Windows 8 and XBMC, and that is all. The only thing that I have is an SSD, so I would need everything else. I would like it as small as possible, as well. It doesn't really matter if it is Intel or AMD. I do not wish to use a GPU, though. I live in Florida, USA, if that helps.

Thank you in advance for all responses!

Testudo

Solution

Sorry but I'm not versed in the AMD world. But most CPUs released recently should keep you from needing a dedicated video card if only video playback and transcoding.

I purchased a Gigabyte board for Intel last November. It had some faulty bits but has since been...

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I have an extra copy of Windows, so I thought that I would tried to use it. What do you think about this build?

Kingston Value RAM 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM SR x8 Desktop Memory (KVR16N11S8/4)

AMD A6-5400K APU 3.6Ghz Processor

Antec Minuet 350 MicroATX Slim Case Computer Case 350 Watt 80 PLUS Power Supply

Gigabyte FM2+ AMD A78 HDMI Dual-Link DVI D-Sub UEFI BIOS mATX DDR3 2133

I have a SSD and an optical drive, so I won't be needing those.

jFiveNYC

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

Sorry but I'm not versed in the AMD world. But most CPUs released recently should keep you from needing a dedicated video card if only video playback and transcoding.

I purchased a Gigabyte board for Intel last November. It had some faulty bits but has since been returned from the warranty repair. Just a glitch, they happen.

Other than that, it should be a great build for an HTPC.

Solution