Help with a supposed virus issue

fma13

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
First of all, let me clarify that I'm not a computer expert, so some of the things I'm going to write here might seem ridiculous to a knowledgeable person on the matter.

I started working an office job on a relatives company, it's small and pretty tight knit, however there are a couple of people who don't really like me that much, to put it nicely. When I arrived on January 2015 I didn't have much work to do, I usually spent 5 - 6 hours sitting on my desk without anything to do, so I ended up downloading some games to entertain myself from Emuparadise, specifically GBA games. I quickly realized it was a stupid idea and ended up deleting the emulator, however the rom files were still there in the computer on the download folder, because I forgot to delete them. Keep in mind this was back in early January 2015. After that point I never touched a game or downloaded anything else. Keep in mind that I'm not the only one who has access to this computer, there are a couple of people who use it too.

Yesterday, as soon as I turned on the computer, it started having problems. The antivirus started failing all of a sudden, I couldn't open any office program, or Chrome or pretty much anything.
Later that day I was told that the reason behind the computer crashing was that I had downloaded those games. They were 2 .rar files, which hadn't been opened since they were downloaded. I just played those roms a couple of times and then never opened them again. I remember that I made sure to analyze those files with the anti-virus we had installed back then (Panda), and it didn't give any alert of any file being infected or anything.
The thing is that the person who fixed the computer particularly dislikes me, I have quite a story with him. So it was him who gave the verdict of me being the one guilty of infecting the computer with a virus, something which seemed completely unreal to me, since I play those games at home with my desktop all the time, and I've NEVER had a problem. What bugged me the most was the fact that I couldn't believe that the cause of the infection were those 2 games, since they hadn't been opened for 2 months and I made sure to analyze them back then. The thing that I found the strangest was the fact that even though he fixed the computer, and notified everyone of the 2 files that were supposedly infected, he didn't delete them. The game ROMs are still there, playable, I analyzed them again with a different anti-virus (AVG) and they still gave no results whatsoever.
So I guess that the question I'm asking is that if the situation is possible. If it's feasible to have "disinfected" those files but still keep them. Why didn't he delete them? And why did the antivirus never show any results when I analyzed those ROMs back in January? Because if it isn't possible I'm thinking he might just be trying to screw me over.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
As far as I know Roms don't contain viruses which is why when you download them never do it in a .rar file as a "worm" could be in it as well and scan before opening it. I also recommend getting a better anti virus such as eset they have a trial that you can just keep getting until you buy it. Last word of advice get a new job!

FreshPineApples

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
As far as I know Roms don't contain viruses which is why when you download them never do it in a .rar file as a "worm" could be in it as well and scan before opening it. I also recommend getting a better anti virus such as eset they have a trial that you can just keep getting until you buy it. Last word of advice get a new job!

Solution

fma13

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

Well turns out I wasn't the one who actually infected the computer. Thanks for the reply anyways. Also why the new job thing? I'm curious lol. Cheers