Help with Audio Setup?

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I have just encountered a problem as I bought my new headphones.
I was wondering what to do as I only have line out port for my headphones and speakers.
I do have an audio port at the front of my PC, (Case is a CM Storm Stryker), which doesn't seem to be as good quality as my onboard audio from Asus.
I have heard that a Y-Splitter will not reproduce the audio correctly, or the onboard audio will not have enough power.
I have thought of a Sound Card, but I have two large 980s in SLI and there is another PCI slot for graphics cards that I believe a sound card would fit in. It would be a tight fit and provide less room for my graphics cards. However, the Creative Sound Blaster Z does have a dedicated headphone and speaker port so it would be really helpful.
Other options are an external DAC+AMP, but I do not think have enough money to spend on a good combo (my budget is around $100).
If there is an easier way to plug in both my devices without a Y-Splitter, it would be ideal as my onboard audio seems to be quite good sounding.
My motherboard is an Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi AC.
Speakers are Creative T40s and headphones are Sennheiser HD 598s.

Thank You

SkyHighGam3r

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
Honestly, I would give the Y-Splitter a shot. It might degrade the signal, but then again it might not.

Either way they run about 3-4 $ at a radioshack, and they have about a billion and a half other uses if it doesn't work out.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Alright, I'll check it out. Any other ideas just in case it doesn't work? I might want a soundcard or AMP/DAC eventually so what's the best plan for that?

Thanks

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Wow this seems like a really good solution...
Do you own one of these and if you do can you advise me on them?
Is it worth spending more money for something better?
As I said, I am willing to spend up to $100 for a good audio solution.

Thank you for the reply, I will research this some more.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
i don't use or own that one, but i have used a handful of Behringer products in the past and they work great for home use. your needs call for a simple circuit, so there's really no need to pay $100 to do that job. but if you want to spend more, that at least gives you a starting point for the type of device to look at. see if the stuff that's sold at Sweetwater has other brands with other features you might place a high value on.

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Alright, the HA400 seems to be a good buy, thank you for suggesting it.
However, I have one more question. Will I be able to use my Creative speakers with the amp?
I know that my speakers want a 1/8" input and the Behringer has 4 1/4" inputs.
So, will I need an adapter? My Sennheisers have a 1/4" output so it should work.

Thank You

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Alright, seems like a good deal.
Just to make sure, I read that the HA400 has a low impedance, but I'm not sure what it is exactly.
I do plan to upgrade soon, and I want to buy something that has enough power to amplify one device with 300 ohm resistance and another device with low resistance, maybe around 30 ohms.

Thank You

ProLeopard

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Oh I really do like that HeadAmp... Any idea about its impedence?

Thanks again for all your help

[edit]
I actually found that the HeadAmp gives you about 51 ohms of impedence per channel, which seems fine to me for now.
Seems like a really good option, thank you very much.