Help with new laptop purchase, please.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am in the market for a new laptop. I work as a web designer and developer and I have been using a desktop here at work. I just had a baby, so I was told that I can work from home 4 days a week, coming in on Monday to get the work load for the week. I figure the easiest way to keep everything organized and together is to get a laptop.

Anyhow, can I please get some help on what exactly I should be looking for. Do I need a 13" or a 15"? Do I nee a laptop with a quad-core CPU? Do I need a dedicated GPU,or will some iGPUs work? I am willing to spend a bit, but I am looking for the least expensive options that I can use effectively and productively.

Thank you in advance for any help, suggestions and advice.

Thank you!

TwoDogsTwoCats2

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
You'll probably do fine with a Windows machine with an i5 processor. You shouldn't need a dedicated GPU, unless you're doing video editing. I just got a new laptop with a 13" screen, and it's not giving me any grief, having been on a 16", "desktop replacement" laptop for the last several years. I work primarily with Office type stuff, as opposed to web design, so you might benefit from a larger screen, though. Working in the cloud would be something to consider, as well, since you're going from work to home.

TwoDogsTwoCats2

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
You'll probably do fine with a Windows machine with an i5 processor. You shouldn't need a dedicated GPU, unless you're doing video editing. I just got a new laptop with a 13" screen, and it's not giving me any grief, having been on a 16", "desktop replacement" laptop for the last several years. I work primarily with Office type stuff, as opposed to web design, so you might benefit from a larger screen, though. Working in the cloud would be something to consider, as well, since you're going from work to home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brdese Laptop General Discussion 2
Lil Miss Amatuer x Laptop General Discussion 5
Donkey3000 Laptop General Discussion 7
J Laptop General Discussion 1
MattP85 Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 2
S Laptop General Discussion 2
V Laptop General Discussion 0
wuws Laptop General Discussion 1