Help with picking a new laptop, please.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am in the market for a new laptop. My late 2008 MacBook Pro is showing its age and, in fact, I am really in fear that it will give out on me soon. It just shuts down randomly and I don't know how long it has left. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on laptops.

Here are some of the things that I do, or that I will need a laptop to do for me:

Adobe Creative Cloud Applications (I am a web developer)
Act a media center when I am at home (XBMC, streaming all types of media files)
Very light gaming, if any at all (just in case :p)
Budget: under $1000 - That is my limit, but if I can a way better deal, I am all for it.

I need it to be portable, that is why I am going with a laptop. I think that I want to give Windows 8.1 a go instead of OSX this time around.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, advice and suggestions.

Testudo

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Wow, that is a great price. So, you think that is good enough to have, let's say, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver open at the same time, as well as multiple browsers and tabs?

TwistedFury

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Oh yea, most definitely.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks!

Do you think this can output at 1080p to my TV, and play all types of media files? Sorry if that seems like silly questions, but I am just trying to make sure.

TwistedFury

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Yes you could. It's not a silly question either man.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Alrighty, so now my budget is significantly lower. I have to find something that will just be used for web development. I mean, I would like to use it to stream media files, but gaming is out. I really and absolutely need to have Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver open at the same time, as well as multiple browsers and browser tabs.

My new budget is $600. Any advice?

TwistedFury

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Depends on the number, but the A10 will be more towards gaming whereas the i5 will be better at what you want, like having a bunch of things open at once and using render programs, etc.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thanks! I have been looking at that HP Envy, but I have always heard bad things about HP laptops. Is there any truth in that? I would also like to know the speed of the RAM. 12 GB is great, though.

TwistedFury

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

HP is fine, and I can't seem to find the RAM speed.

testudoAubreii

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Me, either. I wonder if there is a reason for it lol...I couldn't imagine it being any slower than the 1066 that I am working with now. Thanks for looking!

Even though the CPU is sort of "old", it should still hold up for what I am using it for, right? I mean, I can have multiple apps, browsers and browser tabs open and working at the same time, plus streaming, watching and listening to big media files.