Help with setting up Speakers to computer via AV Reciever

Erik Poerksen

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
I've got two Klipsch speakers I want to setup to be used with my computer. Problem is I'm not super savy when it comes to speakers/soundsystems so I could use some help figuring out how to go about this. I've got an old AV Receiver (from my parents) laying around which I figured I could use and possibly a giant subwoofer in the basement in storage. For sound on my PC i've got a dedicated sound card although I've barely used it so I really don't know if it's any good.
I'll post pictures of the AV Receiver and the speakers and any other information I can give that might help you guys help me. I figure I need some kind of cable that can hook into the AV receiver and the speakers via their clamp on the back. Any help would be appreciated. I can also go down and get a picture of the subwoofer if needed but it seems a little big for my room.

Here are the images:

http://imgur.com/a/Cz0Vk

ewcfT1U.jpg

zEAPNhA.jpg

oaAOUhg.jpg

rUdZMYv.jpg

A7glDe4.jpg

2uN8NfX.jpg

EDIT:
Just thought that I would clarify what I'm trying to do. I want to connect my PC to the AV receiver to the speakers so the computer outputs sound to the speakers. Video is going directly from GPU to monitor. I know how to setup the software side, but it's the hardware side of connecting the right cables that presents a problem for me.

EDIT 2:
I should mention that I have an optical port on my soundcard, so I figure that I should use an optical cable from the AV to the soundcard? Still need to figure out how the speakers connect to the receiver. I took a picture of the back of the soundcard, might be kind of hard to see since it was under my desk.
f3cyKj0.jpg

Solution
Hey,

Yeah, you should be able to use optical to connect the sound card to the receiver. As for connecting the speakers, you'd use speaker wire and connect to the posts marked as front L and R, on the "A" row. For the both posts, it looks like they are the twist kind, so you'd twist the knobs (usually counter-clockwise) to open up a gap, loop the speaker around the inner bolt, then tighten the knobs down to compress and secure the wire. For the receiver, notice the gaps in the black plastic at the base of the posts, that's where you'll insert the wire once you've opened it up.

If you are just using the front two speakers and no sub, make sure the speakers are set to large on the receiver. Otherwise if you are going to use the sub...

ien2222

Distinguished
Hey,

Yeah, you should be able to use optical to connect the sound card to the receiver. As for connecting the speakers, you'd use speaker wire and connect to the posts marked as front L and R, on the "A" row. For the both posts, it looks like they are the twist kind, so you'd twist the knobs (usually counter-clockwise) to open up a gap, loop the speaker around the inner bolt, then tighten the knobs down to compress and secure the wire. For the receiver, notice the gaps in the black plastic at the base of the posts, that's where you'll insert the wire once you've opened it up.

If you are just using the front two speakers and no sub, make sure the speakers are set to large on the receiver. Otherwise if you are going to use the sub, then you'd set them to small and use an appropriate crossover for the speakers/sub.

Solution

Erik Poerksen

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014

I've picked up the necessary cables. Luckily an electronics store just down the corner from me is changing owner so there is 70% off everything :D
I might add another two speakers to those two. If I wanted them for surround sound, how would I attached the two additional speakers?

EDIT:
Which input option do I chose for the optical input? Having a bit of trouble here.
k1vIjyb.jpg

Erik Poerksen

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
Found the input. It was DVD auto. Had some sound quality issues but I just had to switch it to "Straight" (button next to "program"). From a software standpoint I used SPDIF OUT as the output to my optical (just writing in-case someone stumbles across this and has a similar problem). Missing a bit of bass without a subwoofer and I'm not entirely sure how to set the speakers to large range as you suggested.

Erik Poerksen

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014

Can't quite find that option. I'm on Win 10 and it's running via my sound card's driver so that might be it. In "Sound Blaster Audigy 5/Rx control panel" it's set to "2/2.1 Speakers", that seems to be about the extent of control I have over it.