Helper.exe, more than 1k processes running at once.

TechNewbieX

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi.
I recently was trying to download a hacking software for a game (just for fun, nothing serious). So I might have downloaded something harmful as well. Antivirus removed most of them, and I also initiated a complete PC scan.
Now the main problem is - there are more than 1,000 processes of "Helper.exe" running all at once when I checked in the task manager.
Because of this, somehow, my battery is draining pretty quickly. It's a totally new laptop, bought just a few weeks ago. I don't overcharge, I just use the charger when required. I don't leave the laptop to download torrents overnight or anything like that.
I have a reason to believe that the 1k Helper.exe processes is the cause of this fast-battery-drainage. Also, I'm using BitDefender Free version if you need to know.
Here is a screenshot of the processes: -
If the img hyperlink doesn't work, visit this : https://imgur.com/a/OQmWB
OQmWB

I would like your insights and help in order to sort this issue out. I would like to know how to fix this problem by ending all "helper.exe" tasks remaining only one, the correct one. Every single time I restart my PC, these tasks open up no matter what.

Would really appreciate a reply! Please do - thanks!

Quick edit: I tried executing the cmd prompt and tried 'taskkill /im Helper.exe'. All of it was success but it seems like Helper.exe programs re-ran themselves again. I can't seem to end it once and for all. Please help :/

Solution
I actually fixed it by simply downloading a program called "Unlocker", ran it.. then enabled the "Show hidden files and folders" option which provided me with the exact location of the "Helper.exe" file and I cross-checked it by right clicking on the Helper.exe in task manager as well, the location was something like C: Users/Asus/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Helper.exe
I ran unlocker, selected the Helper.exe file, and set it to delete upon restarting and quickly restarted my PC. It worked, now all of them are removed.

Anyways man, thanks a lot for taking out your time to provide me with a solution! I really appreciate it. :)

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
1. Download RKILL from bleeping computer which will hopefully kill all active infections on your laptop.
2. While RKILL is open and running, install malwarebytes and scan, disable your internet during this process, after it scanned and quarantined infections, update it and scan again.
3. Download Roguekiller and follow the same procedure.
4. Uninstall and reinstall bitdefender, ensuring RKILL is running during this process update and scan and see the results.
5. Open command prompt as administrator and type "chkdsk" which will check windows files and offer to repair on reboot if any errors found.
6. If None of the above steps get anywhere then boot into safe mode and try.

Ultimately I would factory reset the laptop for the safest and best remedy.

TechNewbieX

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I actually fixed it by simply downloading a program called "Unlocker", ran it.. then enabled the "Show hidden files and folders" option which provided me with the exact location of the "Helper.exe" file and I cross-checked it by right clicking on the Helper.exe in task manager as well, the location was something like C: Users/Asus/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Helper.exe
I ran unlocker, selected the Helper.exe file, and set it to delete upon restarting and quickly restarted my PC. It worked, now all of them are removed.

Anyways man, thanks a lot for taking out your time to provide me with a solution! I really appreciate it. :)

Solution

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017

Nice going, create a restore point while the goings are good, cheers.