Question Fans running full speed when Laptop is idle

Jun 26, 2022
Hi everyone, I will really appreciate some advice as my ZenBook pro UX501VW laptop fans are running at full speed all the time even when no processes are working except of the default Windows processes. I have tried so many things - I have physically cleaned my laptop and fans from the inside, did a complete format with a new Windows installation, updated all the drivers and checked for virus and or malware. I don't have my computer on any kind of surface that prevents proper ventilation. Please advise on what might be causing this problem, it's very loud which I wouldn't mind so much if I was working on software that stresses the computer but this is not the case. Looking at speedfan and HWmonitor the temperatures are in their 30-40c and fans are working full speed without ever slowing down (speedfan doesn't support my motherboard i believe so I can't control the fans or see an rpm reading- it shows a rediculose number like 476386484.. and in HWmonitor i get 25000 rpm which is also ridiculous). Does anyone ever experience this and might have a solution, even if this might be a hardware issue I would like to know what kind of hardware should I be looking into, if I replace the fans will that help? Maybe it's also important to mention that this laptop is relatively old, I bought it in 2016. The only maintenance I performed on it was replacing the cpu thermal paste and cleaning the laptop and fans physically from the inside. I have a feeling that there is more I needed to do, is there also some kind of thermal paste that needs replacing underneath the heatsink and on the GPU (Nvidia 960m)? Or maybe I am looking at the wrong direction and this is a software issue, i don't know.. I am not sure what to do. Thank you in advance.

scarlettm59

Prominent
Aug 25, 2021
I thinks You should Check the BIOs for an update or find if there is an option for Fan speed.
If you have install the new windows then this is not a Windows issue. May be your BIOS need an update or reset.

Jun 26, 2022
Hi @scarlettm59 , thank you for your reply. In my BIOS there is no dan control options unfurtunatly.. I tried to install the latest BIOS version but I am getting a warning that the version I am trying to install is older and the only option I get is to close that dialog window. I tought of trying to reinstalling the newst BIOS version anyway but it wont let me, not in that way, Is there a way to force a reinstallation of the BIOS? Or you also mentioned to reset the BIOS, how does one go about that? Thank you for your help.

Reactions: scarlettm59

scarlettm59

Prominent
Aug 25, 2021
Thanks for your Feedback @Jamsessions
If BIOS does not allow you to update, then don't force it... Or you might broke the firmware.
At the bottom of the screen there will be an option for Reset BIOS or Reset Settings Try that if not then

Step 1: Access the BIOS Setup utility. See Accessing BIOS.
Step 2: Press the F9 key to automatically load the factory default settings. ...
Step 3: Confirm the changes by highlighting OK, then press Enter. ...
Step 4: "press the F10 key" Save the changes and exit the BIOS Setup utility,

Jun 26, 2022
Thanks for your Feedback @Jamsessions
If BIOS does not allow you to update, then don't force it... Or you might broke the firmware.
At the bottom of the screen there will be an option for Reset BIOS or Reset Settings Try that if not then

Step 1: Access the BIOS Setup utility. See Accessing BIOS.
Step 2: Press the F9 key to automatically load the factory default settings. ...
Step 3: Confirm the changes by highlighting OK, then press Enter. ...
Step 4: "press the F10 key" Save the changes and exit the BIOS Setup utility,
Thank you @scarlettm59

Reactions: scarlettm59