Question (MSI GF63 Thin 11UC) Laptop CPU makes buzzing noise when playing games

Oct 2, 2022
I've recently started to hear a buzzing sound from my laptop's CPU or around it, the reason I say around is because from looking online a lot of people say it's not possible for the CPU to make a noise, but it's definitely coming from that area. The noise only happens when playing games and immediately stops when I tab out of/close it. I've checked with CPU C-states turned off but the noise persists, and the video is with the fans off so it isn't them. There are also no peripherals or power plugged in. I'm confused since the only other possibility I can think of is it coming from the heatsink, but like the CPU I can't imagine how it would. I've owned this laptop for a year now and haven't noticed this noise, but it isn't very noticeable with the fans on, so it might just be I've had it for a while but haven't noticed it. Does anyone know what this is?

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Possibly coil whine. There's a number of posts on Reddit referencing similar noises on MSI laptops. If it's still under warranty or you have extended tech support, I'd try hitting up MSI and see what they have to say.