Question Keys stop working when laptop gets too hot

Aug 30, 2023
Hello I have a MSI GP66 Leopord keys stop workingI think its because of heating. When I press the D or the R key to move and reload nothing happens or my character moves but only half a step it doesnt take a full step forward. I noticed this yesterday that my Q key also stopped working at the same time as my R and D key wasnt working. I have cleaned my keyboard with a toothbrush and a thinn paper and a lot of dust came out of it. before i turned it on again it was turned off for the night and i noticed it today while I was playing overwatch and the division so its not specific to one game

I attached a picture of my temps while playing Doom 2016 and i just had the issue happen. so i alt tabbed and took a screenshot of my temps.
I dont know how to post a screenshot so heres a link:

https://prnt.sc/7z_FqidESx3i

Aug 19, 2023
Do the keys start working after you cool down the laptop? If yes then do they only stop working whilst you are playing games or even if you keep the computer idle for few hours the keys stop working?
If the keys still work after hours of running the machine idle then most likely a heating issue. first thing to do is to clean the fan, you will have to disassemble the fan to really clean it.

Aug 30, 2023
Do the keys start working after you cool down the laptop? If yes then do they only stop working whilst you are playing games or even if you keep the computer idle for few hours the keys stop working?
If the keys still work after hours of running the machine idle then most likely a heating issue. first thing to do is to clean the fan, you will have to disassemble the fan to really clean it.
They stop working while playing. After I closed the game and just browsing the web or its in ildle they start working again and i am looking at the laptop fan grills and i dont see any dirt there. opening the laptop isnt something i really want to do

Aug 30, 2023
i cleaned the laptop fan grills and my cooler booster with a vacuum at the gas station and i played 1 game of overwatch it was still happening but a lot less and i could finish the match instead of switching to a external keyboard. i only played 1 game so far.

this is what my temps look like now
https://prnt.sc/lFYs1K2zv7uo

edit: the air coming from my laptop isnt as warm anymore

Aug 19, 2023
i cleaned the laptop fan grills and my cooler booster with a vacuum at the gas station and i played 1 game of overwatch it was still happening but a lot less and i could finish the match instead of switching to a external keyboard. i only played 1 game so far.

this is what my temps look like now
https://prnt.sc/lFYs1K2zv7uo

edit: the air coming from my laptop isnt as warm anymore
They cant be cleaned properly from the outside. If its heat and caused due to dust stuck in the grill of the fan assembly then It can over heat and destroy CPU/GPU and some other electronics as well.

cl42

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
y
They cant be cleaned properly from the outside. If its heat and caused due to dust stuck in the grill of the fan assembly then It can over heat and destroy CPU/GPU and some other electronics as well.
he's Correct. You have proved it's the fan. crud on blades/bearing spindle will tolerate qtips and 91% alcohol. if you use less % alcohol =more water SO NEED excess dry time Before power run thru it. msi Must have disassembly pdf .
OR
get new lappy.....are you a smoker ? THAT buildup takes even more effort !