Here's a Gun Printed with a Consumer-level 3D Printer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
oops..BUY..not guy...LOL. Too lazy to go into the forum to edit, and for some reason the button directly to the forum isn't showing AGAIN. This new system on toms SUCKS. Fire the people that came up with the new comment system.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
hotroderx, I think there is no problem with this, yes people trying this could hurt themselves if they are not careful when they build one of these and try to test it.
But I doubt this will give people the idea to go on shooting sprees if that is what you mean. More specifically, this is a test, if we can get it to be used in such extreme conditions that the plastic survives the possibilities for its use are opened hugely. Also this is a global site, so US are not necessarily for all.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What I found interesting was that the plastic in the gun costs $25! There was not much plastic in the gun. I bet the cost of the refill cartridges for the 3D printer cost a fortune.

Americangal52

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Wow really? You people are idiots! If you want to keep your Freedom there are metal 3d printers....and just for you numb nuts out there. Our forefathers are rolling in their graves about some of these comments. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed means ANY ARMS WE THE PEOPLE WANT! I am sick of you all giving away our Freedom in the name of 'safety'!! Benjamin Franklin said it best..."'Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."Criminals will ALWAYS get guns and the government has NO CONSTITUTIONAL right to stop We the People from having ANY gun/'arms(example:tank) WE want! You talk about it being illegal to make...WHY are you people letting other men CONTROL YOU?????? We the People are in charge!!!! SHEESH

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@Americangal52 the internet is not just america. with that said my personal belief is this. 1) all current laws should be enforced, no loopholes.2) every gun type you want to buy, should require a safety course3) background check4) a system for a government background check. think of it like this, a credit card you swipe that tells you basic info of yourself. this would be a quick "make sure im not evil" that would be used at club bars and other places where you wouldn't want to find someone who has a history of violence and so on. this could also be linked in some way to a "im qualified for X". think of it like an extended id. 5) a gun registry. i don't believe any gun you can legally purchase should ever be taken away, this would just be used as a positive, and if they government ever came to take away guns, well... you know you have a gun right? 6) everyone living with you must pass a background check and a mental health screening before you can legally possess a gun around them. i think those are the main issues. i dont think any style gun should be banned just because it looks scary. i do think fully automatic should be banned because really, no legitimate excuse to own one of them unless you just want to kill everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.