High-Tech Helmet Brings Augmented Reality To Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I can't imagine anything that I would want less than having phone calls and music while riding... Questionable safety for music on a bike and apart from the 'leave me alone, I'm riding' aspect of calls, how is the sportsbike-riding guy in the advert going to have anything like a conversation that isn't just wind-noise and heavy-breathing?

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I can't imagine anything that I would want less than having phone calls and music while riding...

Totally agreed. The HUD capabilities and rear view camera are cool but phone calls and music? No thanks. I like to do group rides with other sportbike riders and a lot throw in their earbuds for music, personally I prefer just regular earplugs which make for a nice quiet ride (can still hear the revs of the bike and traffic around you). The phone capability would only be useful in emergencies, I don't want to talk to people when I'm out enjoying the road.

One thing I'm curious about, what happens when you wreck with this helmet and it's no longer suitable to protect your head? Do you scrap the entire thing or are you able to cannibalize the electronics out of the old one and put them into an "empty" new one? If not I'd imagine you'd want to insure the helmet itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.