High voltage inverter risk

IanDell

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi there,

I'm repairing my Dell Studio 1537 and I've noticed that the wires coming out of the screen and which connect to the inverter have silver steaks down one side which I presume is the wire showing through the plastic.

How dangerous is this? If I were to touch one of the bare wires would I get a bad shock? Also, if there wires are safetly inside the case, could they short and blow anything up or set fire to anything?

The wires have been exposed for months now!

Cheers, Ian.

IanDell

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Actually it turns out that the wire was dirty. I just rubbed it with some tissue.

I'm a bit freaked out now though. How do I know whether the wires are in good shape?

G

Display cables don't carry a lot of electricity. You shouldn't worry about blowing up or anything. They just die. I don't know how to check but you can keep than in good shape by not bending it a lot.

IanDell

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for your reply. Yes I broke an earlier display cable by bending and tugging on it a lot. But I'm not talking about the thick display cable, I'm talking about the thin wires that come out of the screen and plug into the inverter. I'm under the assumption that those wires carry high voltage which has been ramped up by the inverter.