History Book Slams Shut on Age of Empires Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Bring it back to PC as an actual game like everyone wants*

*'Everyone' defined as us aging PC strat-gamers who obviously don't bring in enough revenue for MS....

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Probably went dark because it was a slap in the face to anyone that played the originals.

Hell even AoM Enhanced Edition (don't get it on Steam, pick up the Gold Edition from Amazon) was a piss poor copypasta compared to the originals.

Well that and the paywall was pretty bad as outlined in the article.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Bring it back to PC as an actual game like everyone wants*

*'Everyone' defined as us aging PC strat-gamers who obviously don't bring in enough revenue for MS....
exactly why indie devs are so important and vital to the pc gaming community

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
All Microsoft needs to do is hire the people who worked on AoE II and AoM, let them do whatever they want for a few years then release their game and they'll have an instant success. Unfortunately Microsoft is too stupid to see this. Does Microsoft seriously think hardcore RTS players wanting to relive the glory days with their overkill PCs want a mobile game?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

That is what Enhanced means. It is the same game as the original but it has new added features. AoM EE was never to be a new game but a rerelease for the fans as I am sure getting the old version to work on Windows 7/8 was not very fun nor was looking at it in a 4:3 box.

I never did like AoE online though. it just wasn't as fun as the originals.

Oh well. Time moves on.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I miss the old AoE. This would have been a nice game had it not been so damn expensive and SLOOOOOOW to get going, can not even play skirmishes with everything until you have paid for and played the missions that unlock various units.

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Microsoft used to be on top of the PC gaming market, they had so many good games. Age of Empires, Mechwarrior 4, Allegiance, Freelancer, even Halo..
I used to only buy Microsoft branded keyboards/mice/joysticks....

Now they just try to play catchup with Android and Apple.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Android and Apple have no real gaming. If you consider Candy Crush Saga a great game then you need to go get some help because Android games are mostly bland boring freemiums that have no real depth to them.

Apple has very little in gaming nor does Apple care about it.

Microsoft still makes some good gaming peripherals although I prefer some others. PC is still the top of the food chain for real gaming, not that BS gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.