Hollywood Says Court Ruling Bad, ISPs Are Evil

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]manitoublack[/nom]I'm actually an iinet subscriber in Australia and this ruling was rather important to the future use of the internet within Australia. As for reasons others have stated, this was indeed the correct ruling from the courts. And if the Australian broadcasting firms (7, 9, 10, SBS) want people to stop downloading shows from the internet, how about releasing them in a timely fashion, not 1-2 years after they have aired in the USA or UK.[/citation]

More to the point, how many movies / tv shows can you download a month on iiNet before you run into their cap? Avatar weighs in at a bit over 2 GB...

Then there is the firewall proposal that Conroy is trying to shove down our throats, secret blacklist and all... Looking a bit bleak for we Aussies ATM. But all is OK, we cleaned up at the winter olympics, our cricket team had a clean slate of wins over the summer season...

ozchoz

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Its not really Hollywood's fault that their methods have fallen to the same level as the RIAA. When you talk about Hollywood you tend to make it sound like a single entity when in actual fact it is a large number of separate and competing organisations of a vast size. Its next to impossible for something as monolithic as this to make sudden changes, and when your business model has had no drastic changes for 50 year, sudden exposure to the internet requires drastic change.

The main problem they have is in recognising the potential of the internet as a service delivery medium rather than just viewing it as an information transfer one. If studios hosted free online delivery of all their shows complete with advertising, or for a small fee without, the revenue would then still be theirs rather than lost to lawyers.

Success for Hollywood lies in their roots. Bring a movie going experience to the public that they simply cannot replicate at home. 3D is not going to be the way to do this as 3D at home is just around the corner. Without something new I feel the cinema will be going the same way as the drive-in, relegated to limited venues only visited for nostalgia.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Everyone who downloads movies illegally should be put in jail. This court ruling simply says that criminals don't have to be held accountable for their actions.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If the RIAA/MPAA had the say they would like you to be jailed at home, not be able to communicate at all and even have to pay for the air that you breathe so no surprice here.

What if they win this case... will they turn on the mail services as they are just as likely to contain pirated cd's or maby the roads - after all they could have cars with illegal CD's in them...

One small step at a time! Someone have to stop this menace - its already out of proportions that they even consider going after the ISP's that only provides a service!

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Wouldn't isps looking at the data being sent through their servers be a virtual equivalent to the post office opening my mail and looking through it before sending it to me?[/citation]

You are absolutely correct. However, if the post office believes (and can prove it) that your package contains ILLEGAL goods, then you will have the police (FBI) knockig on your door.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Movies just need to be cheaper, I'd buy digital movies if I could download decent, DRM FREE .MKV versions for say $3. I only watch a movie a couple times on average it's not even worth $10 to me in most cases. Make em cheaper, make music and games cheaper and you'll sell so many more it will make up for the lower prices....yet no one ever tries this approach.

nightwraith35711

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hollywood just doesn't understand the internet business system. an ISP CAN'T monitor your user's traffic, from an ethical, monatary and technical standpoint. It's invasion of privacy (against the law in countries except those that censor information), AND impossible due to the sheer traffic involved (trillions of bytes every day for any major ISP). Even if it WERE possible to store, process, and analyze all of the data sent by users, how much would it COST the ISP? For HW, RIAA, etc. to claim that the user's crimes are the fault of the ISP shows their ignorance of modern technology.

In addition, the way they usually go about their lawsuits is pathetic. If you read more about this, they were claiming almost 100,000 illegally downloaded files. The ACTUAL number, was about 100 . And of course, the way that they obtained many of their "figures" in this case was through illegal investigative techniques.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
As long as greed runs the human race we'll see the greediest amongst us get greedier when the empire they ran for so long is no longer the tallest point on the terrain. To start with the RIAA for a moment, they should have thrown in the towel a long time ago. They have given in while not admitting it allowing most all songs to be downloaded for a dollar, which for me is low enough to buy the 1 - 3 songs i typically want off a CD when it comes out. They still pull their shinnanigans, but that is to be expected when the big kid finally gets his ass kicked. The movie industry is just now getting into this, as piracy of movies is on the rise, and impacting their bottom line to a point they now want to stop it. But like the music industry, they'll realize that suing and winning against people without the financial means to pay the outlandish fines levied against them, is useless; and ends up costing them money in lawyers and what not, meanwhile defeated defendant simply files bankruptcy or never pays in general.
Bottom line:
No one is going to want to accept that with today's economy, not to mention technological advancements - no one wants to pay up to 17 bucks for a cd, nor 40 to go see a movie... tickets range from 10 - 12 bucks for goddamn regular time tickets.. Thats just nuts in the first fucking place. When I was a teenager it was 5 bucks, 3 for early day.
i did draw a line there, and will not go see movies in the theater any longer, and generally wait until they come out on DVD which i get from one of those red boxes out by the grocery store, and if the movie doesnt suck, will go buy it on bluray or something - Depending on the publisher. If the publisher is on my list I dvdfab without thinking just because i'll never give them my money ever again and only feel right if i rip the dvd and have it for the rental fee, which to those is too much.
They need to fucking give this shit up, and find a new market. end. Lawyers will get the spoils any way.. morons.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
This is in the same category as suing a car company and the state for breaks not working good enough and the road being bumping and it causing your accident when your drunk. It is not the responsibility of the car manufacture and the state if you decide to go out and do something illegal and get into and accident for it. The ISP's cannot be held responsible for what there paying customers do. They are not our parents and they are not the police/government, we pay, we use, we abuse, we go to jail, it's that simple.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If Hollywood thinks everyone should regulate according to their wishes, they probably shouldn't release the stuff, or they should compensate their distributors for their regulation efforts. Think about what it would be like if all ISPs got a nice kickback from Hollywood if they regulated the way Hollywood wanted.

enderwiggen

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Everyone who downloads movies illegally should be put in jail. This court ruling simply says that criminals don't have to be held accountable for their actions.[/citation]
So, the ISP's are criminals and should be put in jail for something they can't possibly control? They provide a service and someone abuses it yet they are responsible? I am one of the few who thinks piracy is wrong, but I don't blame a road for car accident's, I blame the idiots driving on it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]WOAH! Stop! Did they say iiNet , this ISP , KNEW what people were downloading? WHAT....THE...F$*K?! That is an invasion of privcy, and I thought was quite illegal most everywhere?[/citation]

Right.... I suggest you learn how the internet works. You do realize that you ARE using that ISP to download w/e file you were downloading right?

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Blaming iSP's is a bad idea.. i agree with that.

Saying hollywood makes crappy movies and yet you torrent it, i guess you agree that you're a pirate... ^_^

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hello! ISPs are not judges. Court rule must order first before they can deny service to anybody. That is democracy, or if you like to live in China perhaps that is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.