Home Depot Now Selling $20 LED Lightbulbs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The problem with this kind of thinking is this: The only reason that incandescent bulbs are banned is because they "waste" energy. So you are giving the government the authority to ban something just because they deem it as not a good use of electricity. Fine. What if they go after your 1000W or 850W power supply next? Can you really justify the "need" for what others may see as an energy wasting extravagance? Someone may like their 100W dimmable incandescent light bulb just as much as you like your SLI or Crossfire gaming rig. Tough, get an economical Dell laptop which, if everybody just adopted, would save X amount of dollars and energy and is oh so green and good for the planet. Is that the kind of place you want to live in?[/citation]
So do you think the government should place a tax on what it deems are 'energy wasteful products'? That sounds like a reasonable solution to me. Although I'm sure somebody is going to come along after this and start ranting about the free market.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]So do you think the government should place a tax on what it deems are 'energy wasteful products'? That sounds like a reasonable solution to me. Although I'm sure somebody is going to come along after this and start ranting about the free market.[/citation]
I'm not talking about taxation. No where in my comment did I talk about taxes. As stated in my comment I'm talking about banning, as in, cannot buy at any price. This is what governments in Europe, Canada, and now the U.S. are doing.

Also, please don't dismiss something you disagree with as simply a "rant". If you can't win an argument with logic is that your tactic for side stepping the issue?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]I'm not talking about taxation. No where in my comment did I talk about taxes. As stated in my comment I'm talking about banning, as in, cannot buy at any price. This is what governments in Europe, Canada, and now the U.S. are doing.Also, please don't dismiss something you disagree with as simply a "rant". If you can't win an argument with logic is that your tactic for side stepping the issue?[/citation]
I wasn't meaning to sound opposed to your views. I was actually just postulating taxation as a viable alternative to a ban. There was no sarcasm intended in my post (stupid internets not providing intonation).

G

Well Tom don't expect to clean out the incandescents YET. But it's very close to the end of old fashioned lightbulb and even flourescents. I put 10 of the Cree LR6 cans in my house. Fabulous light immediate significant drop in electric usage, and better quality light than the cans I replaced.

G

I am thinking of going to led just for the fact that they generatge so much less heat than the halogen bulbs I have in my recessed cans in the kitchen. But I am concerned about brightness and being able to see since my ceiling is 10 ft high and the light disperses a lot. But each halogen operatges at over 200 degrees and I have 5 cans in the ceiling. That's a lot of heat. Any suggestions for me?

Peter Calka

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I have 4.5W 420LM , (6$) 7 w 560 Lm e 27 (8$) or T8 60 m for less than 10$
Imagine within a year Home Depot will sell same or someone else will for far less than 10$, and than it will make a lot of sense to buy them.
By the way study Haitz Law.
You must be totally stupid to buy anything to last more than 3 years!!!!
Led increase lm efficiency per watt at rapid peace, so all today "hot" products will be obsolete within 2-3 years, why would you pay 40$ for http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20018915-54.html and never recover investment??

Peter Calka

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I have 4.5W 420LM , (6$) 7 w 560 Lm e 27 (8$) or T8 60 m for less than 10$
Imagine within a year Home Depot will sell same or someone else will for far less than 10$, and than it will make a lot of sense to buy them.
By the way study Haitz Law.
You must be totally stupid to buy anything to last more than 3 years!!!!
Led increase lm efficiency per watt at rapid peace, so all today "hot" products will be obsolete within 2-3 years, why would you pay 40$ for http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20018915-54.html and never recover investment??

Status
Not open for further replies.