Honda Insight to Make Return in 2010 at $18,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

velo116

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I'm assuming you mean "pull" the car from the market, and good "on" fuel, rather than "put" and "of," respectively. :)

I wonder if that $18,5 price is stripped down or if it has an air and power package. Otherwise, I wish I could have waited a few years to get a car.

G

Has it occured to anyone on the hybrid kick that in every annual report covering every new car in every segment looking for the lowest over-all costs that hybrids don't even enter the top 10 until 7 or 8 dollars a gallon for gas. what a gimmick... number 1: chevy aveo. if you're bent on being green though, at least know that in the end you save no green (dollars.)

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
While a lot of people want hybrids under the assumption that they'll save money on gasoline, and the auto industry is in no hurry to disillusion them, the real reason to get a hybrid as a new car is to reduce emissions and the total consumption of fossil fuels a person/family uses. Also, proving that there's a strong market for hybrid vehicles will nudge car makers into developing other technologies, hopefully including battery-electric.

G

Nelson_nel, that's not the case. Check out this month's Consumer Reports, which gives a review of true 5-year ownership costs of all cars, taking into account maintenance and depreciation as well as fuel costs. Prius was number one in it's segment (mid-size I think-- not compact).
I love my Prius but ultimately we'll be moving to electric cars and plug-in hybrids. The 2004-2010 hybrids are just getting the door open and getting people used to the idea of reducing oil use, and it's been working extremely well. Now the electrics and plug-in hybrids are starting: Tesla Roadster and Fisker Karma on the high end, and in the cheaper segments Aptera in 2009 then Chevy Volt and Plug-in Prius in late 2010/ early 2011-- by which time Project Better Place will already have people driving cheap electric vehicles all over Israel, Denmark and (if negotiations continue to go well) Hawaii. Meanwhile hopefully city buses will continue to move toward fuel-cell power as they have been doing in Europe on a trial basis. Combine all that with a new president instilling a little positive vision toward getting us off oil, and we'll get at least off mid-east oil within a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.