Hook up a ceiling surround sound system

Ecptoo

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
I recently bought a new house and it has speakers in the ceiling all through the house. I can't find a outlet where the speakers wires would come through. I went into the attic and the speakers are still there but I can't get to them as they are in the corners where the ceiling drops and there's no boards to stand on by them. I'd like to find a way to hook them up or have some advice. I've never dealt to with a ceiling system. Do they normally have a central spot they all link up to?

Solution
They should all come to a central spot or distribution center. Di you get the old owners new number. We did when we bought ours in case of any questions. Not uncommon for people to just rip stuff out though. usually once a week or two there is a thread on here about someone buying a house and the wired network ports in the wall don't work and they find where they meet and they just cut all the wires from the switch.
They should all come to a central spot or distribution center. Di you get the old owners new number. We did when we bought ours in case of any questions. Not uncommon for people to just rip stuff out though. usually once a week or two there is a thread on here about someone buying a house and the wired network ports in the wall don't work and they find where they meet and they just cut all the wires from the switch.

Solution
In most older distributed audio systems there are in wall volume controls for each room. If you have these the speaker wire goes to that control first and from the control to a central location. You are going to have to search for the "home run" location that all the speaker wires come back too. This is often in a closet, in the basement, or where a large enough cabinet for the equipment could be located. There may be a wall plate or the wires may just come out of the wall with a cover plate with a hole in it,
If it is a newer installation using something like Sonos there doesn't have to be a central spot where the equipment is located.
If you have two speakers per room (or four in a larger space) they may not be configured for surround sound but for distributed stereo sound.
If you can't figure it out call a local av install company. They can trace the wires and set it up for you.