hooking both amp ports into one sub?

warcat5555

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
Title is my question i wanna hook one sub into 2 rear ports on my amp, will this work or just screw my sub?

Solution
Yes and no. Maybe. What you describe is generally referred to as 'bridging' which can greatly increase the power output to the sub. But it depends on certain factors. The amp needs to be bridgable, if its not, nothing good will come of it. The amp and sub must be compatible, with a 4ohm sub, bridging means the amp sees 2ohms on each port, so the amp must be rated at 2ohm stable, or nothing good comes from that either. If you meet the above conditions, the only remaining one is hookup. You'll either need the manual, or if lucky, it's written on the amp exactly which ports to use, I've seen rt+ and left-, I've seen rt+ and left+ and also rt- and left+. All depends on the amp itself.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Yes and no. Maybe. What you describe is generally referred to as 'bridging' which can greatly increase the power output to the sub. But it depends on certain factors. The amp needs to be bridgable, if its not, nothing good will come of it. The amp and sub must be compatible, with a 4ohm sub, bridging means the amp sees 2ohms on each port, so the amp must be rated at 2ohm stable, or nothing good comes from that either. If you meet the above conditions, the only remaining one is hookup. You'll either need the manual, or if lucky, it's written on the amp exactly which ports to use, I've seen rt+ and left-, I've seen rt+ and left+ and also rt- and left+. All depends on the amp itself.

Solution

bignastyid

Splendid
MERGED QUESTION
Question from warcat5555 : "okay awesome a question form letsss see okay i have a shit 800w car amp that puts 250 to each port, wpuld it be possible to ho"

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Careful with dual voice coil subs. If you run them in parallel (+to+ and - to-) then you'll get an effective 2ohm load. Bridging a 2ohm load puts the amp at 1ohm,and most commercially sold amps are not 1ohm stable, you'd need the good, pro style amps for that. So run the coils in series (+amp to +coil1, - coil1 to +coil 2, -coil 2 to - amp)

TRENDING THREADS