Hooking up a android smartphone to a home theater system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyhi69

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Hey guys, how are things? First post so i hope I am not posting anything redundant.

My problem is my laptop is on its last legs and I am buying a new smartphone. My old android phone is a Samsung note 3, my laptop is a asus laptop running Windows 7.

My system is comprised of a epson 5020 projector hooked up to a Sony str-dn1070 a/v receiver. For the last couple years I have simply had my laptop connected via hdmi out to the receiver via hdmi into the "bd" hdmi port. The video feed from the receiver goes out to the projector and I get full surround sound audio via my receiver to my 5.1 surround speakers.

When I try to use a mhl to hdmi cable to output my phone in the same manner nothing happens (or I sometimes get a error that the phone must be directly connected to the tv)

Obviously this is not a good solution as I am outputting to a projector and that would mean no audio.

My question is why is it that a Windows 7 laptop can seamlessly output hdmi via a receiver but a android smartphone can not and is there any work around to fix the issue?

Thanks for your time.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.