Hospital: Jobs Didn't Receive Preferential Treatment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I hate apple. They have a monopoly on the overpriced 'trendy computing' market.

PC was for 'politically correct' not 'personal computer'.

My post has nothing to do with Apple v.s PC.

Children before celebrities on the transplant line, except they're not competing for it. Children must get (liver) transplants from other children.

The value of a person should be determined by what they have yet to produce, intellectually or physically. Jobbs has a lot of production left and shouldn't even be thought about being passed over.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Why do all you people doubt this is true? You all read too many tabloids. I highly doubt a profitable hospital would risk their entire future and medical license over some CEO that they don't even benefit from....

G

If it came to Obama versus Bill Gates to receive a liver transplant and only one were left, who would you demand get it?

I'd rather see Gates get it. He's produced something more than a harvard-educated lawyer could ever imagine even reading about in a magazine - A PRODUCT. Not laws, not some presidency usurped by a corrupted Senate and House. Bill Gates has yielded us something we use in our every day lives (though some of you might disagree, as narrow minded as are.). Obama? Just a face to further ridicule the USA.

Back to the subject at hand, Steve Jobs > some scumbag who was given the opportunity by a lawyer, affirmative action and liberal stupidity.

To answer the only foreseeable question I can attempt to fathom from the dregs of human "intelligence" this comment system typically spews out : yeah, if it came to me or someone who made a PRODUCT (not a movie, or a politician), I'd say all is fair and accept my dead liver.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Damn this site attracts nothing but a bunch of angry apple hating zombies. Get a life, there is more to life then hanging up the flag of your favorite operating system and then going on forums to "represent".

Having Apple around is a good thing no matter how you look at it. You all hate Apple but if it was gone there probably would not be a Zune because Microsoft would not realize how much money can be made from an MP3 player. Windows 7 would not look or work like it does because all the zombies would be content with buggy Vista, and prices on windows OS's would be higher.

Everyone takes idea from others and the more players we have in the OS development business the more we all benefit with lower prices and innovations.

angry apple hating zombies... I like that. +1

People on here are far to judgemental of others, yet flame&troll if badmouthing comes their way. I've said it before, people need to grow up.

Back to the topic at hand: I higly doubt that he cheated some poor kid out of a liver. To all who do not agree I say this.. Find me some valid proof. To the person who mentioned china-farmed organs: yes i agree, at least something like that did not happen.

In any case, if you must berate him, do not do it just because you hate apple/apples products. He might be an arrogant prick, but he is also brilliant and has changed the world in his own little way.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
The press release was issued with Jobs’ permission and aims to put to rest rumors that suggest Jobs’ celebrity status had him skipped to the top of the donor list.

Oh, and we totally believe them.(most people do anyway their dumb enough)

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]You only have one liver you know? I don't need to tell you what happens if they take it from you[/citation]

hehe... for your information... for liver transplantation, doctor does not have to cut the whole liver form the donor. Doctor only need part of the liver (1/3-1/2 depends) and the 1/2 live left in the donor will grow back (if it is a live donor).

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
To all the naive sheeple out there please do us all a favor and go live in a cave and stay out of the gene pool. Your only ability in life would be to raise more naïve sheeple such as yourself.

This is not an Apple vs Microsoft thing. It’s not a Steve Jobs bashing thing because you believe him to be a lying, narcissistic, underhanded jerk of a human being. This is about people in power that get preferential treatment above all others. Opinion that says Steve Jobs deserves preferential treatment because he has done such good in the world only show you to be either a loyal iCult member or a troll just being a typical asshole.

I don’t give a flying fuck if Steve Jobs gave the Dali Lama a handjob just because he liked him it does not entitle Jobs to use money and power to place himself on top of the organ donation list. Don’t you find it coincidental that anytime a rich and powerful person needs an operation or a transplant it just so happens to magically appear but a normal person or child dies while waiting on the list? When is the last time you heard of one of these rich and powerful people dying while waiting for an organ transplant?

I am quite certain that a new wing will be donated to that hospital in the near future. Everyone can place their head in the sand and believe that Steve Jobs is good and showing gratitude and wanted to give to the hospital because he felt it in his heart…or you can face the truth that it was originally planned that he would drop $250,000,000 on their doorsteps if they produced a liver for him above anyone else.

We don’t live in a Disney story land where good always triumphs. Open up a newspaper or turn on the tv and you will be forced to see a world overflowing with greed and corruption. Iran anyone??? China??? America??? These things rule and have always ruled. How do we make a change in this world? I don’t know. Maybe we could all start by not worshipping these so-called “celebrities” or people in power. Stop thinking that living in a Caste system is acceptable.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
“He received a liver transplant because he was the patient with the highest MELD score (Model for End-Stage Liver Disease) of his blood type and, therefore, the sickest patient on the waiting list at the time a donor organ became available,”

AND HIS GENEROUS CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIER FACILITY!

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]“He received a liver transplant because he was the patient with the highest MELD score (Model for End-Stage Liver Disease) of his blood type and, therefore, the sickest patient on the waiting list at the time a donor organ became available,” AND HIS GENEROUS CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIER FACILITY![/citation]
LAWLDOGS!! BBQ!!

I think your a few days to late to say what the other 20 MS whores already said.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Jobs did receive preferrence and we all know it, but I ask is it a bad thing in all cases? Ask yourself this, if Jobs can pay more for it, then in turn the hospital could use that money to help the less forunate, was it a good thing? As someone else stated the good guy doesn't always win unforunately, but if you can turn that bad into some good then you're doing better than the ret of us. I do question the fact of his MELD score. If he had the highest, does that mean he was basically about to die (I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case).

On a side note, to all you people who read this article and instantly went to PC vs Mac (either side) you really have no life do you? Who cares if you like either? What does that have to do with Jobs getting a liver? Vice versa, if Gates needed a liver what does that have to do with your Mac? If either died are you foolish enough to believe they would stop making either product? Come on, you guys have to do better than that...

thirdshop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
The majority of livers that are transplanted come from organ donors who have died. These organ donors are adults or children who have become critically ill (often due to an accidental injury) and have died as a result of their illness. If the donor is an adult, he/she may have agreed to be an organ donor before becoming ill. Parents or spouses can also agree to donate a relative's organs. Donors can come from any part of the United States. This type of transplant is called a cadaveric transplant.

An individual receiving a transplant may either get a whole liver, or a segment of one. If an adult liver is available and is an appropriate match for two individuals on the waiting list, the donor liver can be divided into two segments and each part is transplanted. This is more often done in children than adults.

Living family members may also be able to donate a section of their liver. This type of transplant is called a living-related transplant. Individuals receiving a partial liver seem to do as well as those receiving a whole liver. Relatives who donate a portion of their liver can live healthy lives with the segment that remains.

So no one in his family liked him enough to give up part of their liver?

Status
Not open for further replies.