Hospital: Jobs Didn't Receive Preferential Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
He didn't receive any better treatment than any other billionaire who bribed the hospital :) All billionaires are treated the same over there :D

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Tennessee has the shortest waiting list for organ transplants in the U.S. I'm sure there are a lot of sick people in other states that would fly there for a transplant if they could afford it like Steve Jobs can, but then it wouldn't be the shortest anymore. He may not have received preferential treatment from the hospital, but money bought the opportunity.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I bet some of his minions showed up and started sacrificing themselves and donating their livers until he reached the top of the list. :)

In all seriousness though, I want to believe that this was by the rules but I too am doubtful. I guess it depends on how long it usually takes to get a liver from someone with his bloodtype.

I think that short of a 12 year old boy coming forward and proving that Steve Jobs stole his new liver, I'm going to put my head in the sand and hope it was legit...cause I don't like the guy much but I wouldn't wish bad things on him either.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
hey at least he didn't go to china where they would have executed a prisoner just to get him a liver in exchange for some cash.

zirbmonkey

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Judging by the last photos of him while he was still at apple, I don't doubt he was slid downhill to the stage where he was at the top of the list.
And to all the people bad mouthing him for getting "preferential treatment" for being rich, get off yourselves. He's a smart guy, who worked hard to get where he is today, and is not an alchy a-hole who lost his liver to drinking. If you'd like to line up the other people on the liver transplant waiting list and judge them on another quality that Jobs somehow didn't meet (other than being the sickest), then you're doing nothing more than shifting to a new standard of judging human life.

So you'd rather he didn't get a new liver a die? I guess that shows your true colors.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
A guy that I go to church with had a liver transplant a few months ago in Alabama. It took about a week to get his liver, but he needed tranfusions just to keep him alive until a donar became available. A few days after the transplant an autopsy of the donar revealed cancer. So he had to wait about 4 weeks for another liver.

I highly doubt that, had he been Jobs, he would've gone through such complications. However, it is useless to speculate. Unless someone can prove that someone else died because he took their spot on the waiting list, we should live and let live. I have no use for a Mac, and I hate their advertising and overly priced hardware, but I don't wish anything bad on Jobs. If I had a product that I could mark up 300% and people were stupid enough to buy it, I would be doing the same thing as Jobs.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
"The hospital went on to say it provides transplants to patients regardless of race, sex, age, financial status, or place of residence."

So any other 55 year old pancreatic cancer survivor would have been approved by the transplant board? Well maybee givin the senario and the fact that you can transplant a partial liver from a live donor.

It is still a little fishy.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Who cares if he was given preferential treatment? He deserves it! Like it or not, Steve Jobs has done a great deal of good for humanity.

Should a convicted childmolester who is living on the streets collecting wellfare drinking his liver into oblivion really be ahead of Jobs under any circumstance? NO!

This PC garbage is worthless. Important people SHOULD receive preferential treatment, they're worth more to humanity.

Your actions should earn you entitlements. Not PC 'they're a human and they deserve it for being human' crap.

option350z

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Who cares if he was given preferential treatment? He deserves it! Like it or not, Steve Jobs has done a great deal of good for humanity. Should a convicted childmolester who is living on the streets collecting wellfare drinking his liver into oblivion really be ahead of Jobs under any circumstance? NO!This PC garbage is worthless. Important people SHOULD receive preferential treatment, they're worth more to humanity. Your actions should earn you entitlements. Not PC 'they're a human and they deserve it for being human' crap.[/citation]

Really? Ok, so if a child needed a liver, you would give it to an arrogant celeb instead of the child. It makes absolutely no sense. He's worth more, that's BULL SHIT. He's not worth anymore than you or me. It's all about capitalism and who can pay the exuberant amount of money. This PC garbage is exactly what your using, so get used to it. Thats all a MAC is. GARBAGE!!!!!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Don't know hillarymakesmecry...., you sound like a PC hating, welfare drinking alcoholic child molester yourself. I hope you don't need a transplant soon.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Don't know hillarymakesmecry...., you sound like a PC hating, welfare drinking alcoholic child molester yourself. I hope you don't need a transplant soon.[/citation]
ROFL

"Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Obviously a child comparison is different. But I would have no problem with people loosing their spots due to irresponsible lifestyle choices. People who lost there livers to decades of alcoholism shouldn't be placed above "that child" who didn't make that lifestyle choice.

It's preferential, but it's ok in my book.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]meanwhile, the liver donor received free iPod Touch and $50 iTunes Store gift card....[/citation]
You only have one liver you know? I don't need to tell you what happens if they take it from you :p

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Just thought of one more fact. He had to fly to TN to get the transplant. if he was in that advanced stage of liver failure, wouldn't be difficult for him to live through the flight?? He obviously had a doctor on board but still.

"The hospital went on to say it provides transplants to patients regardless of race, sex, age, financial status, or place of residence."

Good to know a 90 year old cuban refugee can get a liver if he is the sickest one at the hospital at the time. Not a good policy to give organs to people just because they are the sickest.

Status
Not open for further replies.