How Amazon Fire TV Stacks Up to Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

softskilled

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
about the feature table: apple tv HAS internal storage, otherwise movies wouldn't be stored for later viewing when renting them.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Another damn box. No Gigabit port. Will it support repositories and can I install XBMC on it?
agree'd. people need to jump on the HDMI IN bandwagon like Xbox One. I havent hit the INPUT button on my remote for months, hell i havent even used a remote in a few days. Voice commands FTW

gudomlig

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
If it costs me like a buck plus shipping to buy an hdmi cable in some places online why can't amazon include a free one

Dr-Emmerich

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
Chromecast just needs to go away...useless at this point. If you're intrenched with iTunes you get Apple TV..if not you get Roku...end of story.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Just a nitpick, for the Roku the boxes come with a remote. Not sure if the stick does or not, although IIRC they advertise that you can use a mobile app to control the Roku stick.As for the whole RAM & internal storage...I guess that depends on what the boxes use it for. Except for account login information, my Roku box isn't really storing anything internally: everything is stored on the channel providers' external servers, otherwise I'd have 2 separate Netflix queues (1 for my Wii, 1 for my Roku), which kind of defeats their purpose. And while there might be some requirements on codec processing for higher-resolution formats, the biggest bottleneck on streaming video speeds is going to be your broadband connection: a quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM won't help someone if they're still "rocking" a 1 Mbps DSL connection.The short story is, Amazon's Fire TV box is more expensive than my Roku was, has a heck of a lot fewer channels, & doesn't provide any additional features that set it apart from anyone else. So, Roku for the win for me.

Slatteew

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Another damn box. No Gigabit port. Will it support repositories and can I install XBMC on it?
agree'd. people need to jump on the HDMI IN bandwagon like Xbox One. I havent hit the INPUT button on my remote for months, hell i havent even used a remote in a few days. Voice commands FTW
I think we should adopt Display Port instead of HDMI, especially since Display has a lot more room to grow than HDMI, and does not cost anything extra to add on.

Haravikk

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Doesn't the Apple TV have 8gb storage too? I know it's probably only for caching, but the way that Fire TV preloads content sounds a lot like it mostly uses the memory for caching too, even if you do have some control over it. Just saying! Still, the quad-core processor in the Fire TV is interesting, but I'm most interested by the possibilities of what else this little machine could be used for after installing Linux for example…

stareagyl

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Uh - 1200+ Channels!! Not to mention the underground ones which Amazon and Google would never Touch (I threw away my AppleTV 5 years ago). Roku's published interface for channel creation remains the differentiator - IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.