How can i transfer programs from one pc to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
So basically what the title says. I need to transfer some programs like Microsoft Office 2007 from my old, current Windows XP pc to my new, empty Windows 8 pc. How can i do this easily? can i use i usb drive? i know i can transfer files like pictures via a usb drive, but what about large programs, again, like Microsoft Office 2007? Please help me out!

Solution
It does not work that way. You will need to get the installation and use the CD key from your current installation and instal it on the new PC.

You should be able to download a trial version on Microsofts site and then find your CD key using Magical Jellybean keyfinder.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
It does not work that way. You will need to get the installation and use the CD key from your current installation and instal it on the new PC.

You should be able to download a trial version on Microsofts site and then find your CD key using Magical Jellybean keyfinder.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
Programs/applications...no, not really.

When an application like MS Office (especially MS Office!) is installed, it also make many, many registry entries. Hundreds of entries.
Some smaller applications? Sure. Office? No.

Easiest/best way is to find the original install disk and go for it.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You'll have to reinstall each one. Major programs, such as Office have files all throughout Windows: fonts, system 32, registry, etc, etc. It's nearly impossible to copy ALL the program files, and use it another system.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, we don't support piracy on here, delete incoming in a few mins.
Please read the forum rules, if you don't own office and your friend does not have a multi license. We can not help you.

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

sorry, already deleted it, but is there still any hope as to how i can keep MS Office? Like i said, if i get a code from the disk can i DL the trial onto my new pc and enter the code to keep it? I dont have money to buy another copy and im not comfortable with torrenting either, id rather not have loads of viruses lol. So any hope still?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Well shit guys, i guess i cant get MS Office at all now then based on your answers because i don't technically own MS Office, my friend used his disk to install it on my computer

Well, you're out of luck, then.

Is there still a way to keep MS Office like if i get a code from the disk? i can ask my friend for the code or any codes from the disk or box.

Likely to be a bogus product key.

Any links to any good torrents for MS Office, anybody?

Not in here, no. Just imagine if this site were known to be a place where people could get pirated MS Office and Windows keys. How long do you think this place would last?

Either buy it normally as everyone else does, or use something else. LibreOffice, for instance.

Where do you work? Maybe they have a Home Use Program.

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Ive heard of OpenOffice before, i might end up getting that. Can it open MS Word documents and can MS Word open OpenOffice files? All i really need it is just for a word processor for school. My school only has MS Word installed on their computers, so compatibility is the main issue now

USAFRet

Illustrious

Mostly, yes. OpenOffice (and the fork LibreOffice) can open most .doc files.
From within Oo_O and LO, save as .doc instead of their default, and Word can open those. Mostly.

Novuake

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Yes, OpenOffice can do that. Its mostly the same as Office for most people.
EDIT : Sorry double post. Glitch...

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Sorry, can you dumb it down a notch for me? What do you mean
From within Oo_O and LO, save as .doc instead of their default
? What do i have to do differently exactly? (If anything)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Hang on...let me crank up my copy of LibreOffice

OK...the default Save is their ODF format.
Instead, choose Save As...
Save as Type: Select Microsoft Office Word 2007/2010.

Done.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Open Office and Libre Office default to a .odt extension, unlike Word that defaults to .doc/.docx depending on the version. When you save a file in OO/LO, you have to make it's set to save as a .doc file in the drop down when you save it.

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

so basically all i do is just make sure i have it save as .doc or .docx when i save a word document in OpenOffice?

BTW, whats the difference with .doc and .docx? isnt .docx for mac? Correct me if im wrong :D

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yeah, that's it. Should be readable on the professors Word install.

.docx is the newer format of Word files. Word 2007 and later. Not Mac specific.

DarkDubzs-1337570

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

thanks, one last thing. Does it matter if i save it in .doc or .docx format? I just want to be completely sure, i don't want to fail a class because my paper wouldn't open at school.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you're unsure, go with .doc. It's the safer bet. The .docx format is Word 2007 and later, while .doc is at least Word 2000/XP/2003. Also, since you're in school, check with the teacher or someone. A lot of universities have a program where they sell legal copies of Windows and Office for cheap to students.

Status
Not open for further replies.