How can I use the Samsung Earphones' Mic on a Laptop

Sep 16, 2018
I have those Samsung earphones that come with the phone, they have a mic on them and I want to use them for my laptop but when I plug them in it does not come up in "recording devices". I've tried pressing the button by the mic but nothing seems to work.

Solution
Then it should be dual, input/output. If it isn't working with that headset, and the headset works elsewhere, either the jack is a cheap one (which is quite common) that doesn't accept all headsets, or the jack is not working correctly. In either case the only options then are to replace the jack, or to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way. The adapter, obviously, is way cheaper.

But be sure you try the headset on another device to make sure that all works OK there first to be sure that the headset isn't the problem. You may want to also try a different headset in the laptop as well. Make sure it has a mic also.
Are you sure that the jack you are plugging into is a dual input/output one? It has to be to work for this. If it is only output, then it only allows sound out and not in. Should it turn out not to be a dual one, or if it just won't work with the headphones you are trying to use (and the headphones work fine on other devices) then you may need to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through one of the laptops USP ports.

Sep 16, 2018

My Jack only has one hole if that's what u mean

Sep 16, 2018

The symbol is a headset with a microphone on it

Then it should be dual, input/output. If it isn't working with that headset, and the headset works elsewhere, either the jack is a cheap one (which is quite common) that doesn't accept all headsets, or the jack is not working correctly. In either case the only options then are to replace the jack, or to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way. The adapter, obviously, is way cheaper.

But be sure you try the headset on another device to make sure that all works OK there first to be sure that the headset isn't the problem. You may want to also try a different headset in the laptop as well. Make sure it has a mic also.

Solution