How Do I Maximize Longevity of Lithium Laptop Batteries

postul8or

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
When I Google the top advice for maximizing the longevity of laptop batteries, I find that cycling the battery from 20% to 80% would lead to the battery roughly doubling in lifespan (the number of cycles in the battery).

What I'm wondering is, if I leave my new laptop (with a lithium battery) plugged in to the charger all of the time, does that constantly charge and strain the battery or does the computer totally bypass the battery and work off of power from the wall?

The basis for battery wear increasing as you charge over 80% is that additional voltage is applied to the battery to get it to 100% causing additional strain on the battery vs charging to 80%. The "hit" to charge to 100% could be worth taking if the laptop is going to remain in for extended periods (and battery is bypassed for wall power). In my case, the laptop is used to play movies in a home theater most of the time (logical to leave it plugged in, unless that would strain the battery).

The alternative is basically working off of the battery between 20 and 80% and always cycling the battery just to avoid full charging to 100%.

Anyway, just interested where laptop and battery technology is in 2015 so I can treat my laptop in the best way.

Thanks!

I feel that it's a question worth asking as the batteries are now built into laptops and are hard to replace (in the past it was expensive, but possible to buy another battery).

There are a lot of misconceptions around Lithium batteries, and batteries in general.

You seem to have avoided most of them, though.

What I'm wondering is, if I leave my new laptop (with a lithium battery) plugged in to the charger all of the time, does that constantly charge and strain the battery or does the computer totally bypass the battery and work off of power from the wall?

Works straight from wall power.

TRENDING THREADS