How do I shop for a laptop hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
To replace my laptop's failing hard drive, where do I start in terms of what I need to buy? SSDs are small...do they fit laptops? Or do I need laptop specific hard drives?

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

OK, perfect. Now let's say I wanted to buy my dying laptop a non-SSD? It seems that I'd have to find a laptop HD since desktop HDs are big, or would I have to get even more specific and get a model-specific HD?

G

The make and model of the drive should not matter as long as it is the right size. I would definitely recommend an SSD because the speed increase is fantastic! You may need to ensure the new drive is the same size or larger depending on how you plan to transfer the data over. I upgraded my laptop to an SSD and had issues because the size was smaller then the old one. I had to resize the partition before I could make an image to restore it to the new drive. Once done however, my boot up speed was at least 4x faster.

Abby Lou

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I don't know much about computers, but mine has a sata plug in and I think that is what matters the plug in so it fits. Plus you get the size you wish. I did find a good price and some one I would recommend to purchased from once you know. I found out I didn't need the Hard Drive and they refunded my money without a problem.. It was on Amazon .. Finity India Was the name of the seller ... Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.