Question How do I transport a final draft 7 screenplay into MS word?

qrong

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Out of curiosity and on a whim I contacted TrackingB.com a screenplay contest & I explained to them that I didn't have a credit card & wanted to know if they'd accept a check or money order - well they responded back to me explaining that as they didn't accept checks or money order they would as a friendly gesture enter a screenplay of mine into one of their contests. As with any screenplay contest they want the script entered as a PDF - only problem is that my Final draft 7 suffered some of type of damage during the downloading of MS10 a few years ago. Honestly I didn't notice this until maybe last year. I am stressing myself out as to how am I supposed make a PDF if the PDF on Final draft refuses to work. So now I need to figure out how to PDF my script into word without losing it or damaging it. Mind you I am not a computer tech so pleas whoever replies to my post I'd really appreciate it if you could explain your directions in the simplest form so I can apply it according.

My question is how do I transfer my script from Final Draft 7 & successfully place it into MS word and make it a PDF without losing the file or damaging it? Again please I am not a tech expert so please make your reply as simple as possible - thank you.

qrong

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
In your "printers" list (when selecting "print"), do you have an option for "Microsoft Print to PDF"? That should let you go straight from FD7 to PDF.
Sorry for my prolonged delay to reply back to you I haven't completed re-editing my screenplay I have found quite a few errors that I must tend to first. Yes I do see Microsoft print to PDF. Thank you for responding to my request for help. I am almost done re-editing. When I'm done I will be ready to do what stated I should do. I should be done re-editing in a few more days. I will keep you informed.

qrong

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Sorry for my delay but I had re-edit my script and when I click on the print button in Final Draft it scanned my entire script. I see it's now in word document as a PDF but how do I open it. Because it won't open in Final draft it shows as an unexpected file format when I try opening it in Final Draft but I see is a PDF in word as a PDF word document but how do I now open it. now that it's in Word as a word document.

I don't want to hit the wrong button and lose all that hard work I put into writing my script. When I go into the Word program where it displays "PUBLISH" the document as a PDF or XPS - now when I open this part it displays "Standard online and printing - that button looks like it's already filled in - the button underneath says Maximum size and online printing.

The button just below reads "Options" I see my documents are clearly marked as PDF because of the PDF symbol they display. In the box it says open file after "Publishing" I just want to know which button do I click the "Standard" or the "Maximum" before I hit the "Publish" button. This is my first time having to save a document this way. Normally when my Final draft was working probably all I have to do was just hit SAVE AS PDF" and that was it. I just don't want to press the wrong button and destroy all my hard work.

qrong

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
You're good at figuring technical issues out. Thanks for the help - how good are you with Adobe Acrobat cause not I've got another problem now that I have my screen play in a PDF I can't read it in Adobe Acrobat. I mean it just won't show up it's like it ain't even there even though it displays the two icons on the device. Could it be that I need to pay into adobe DC . That can't be it can it? That makes no sense. I should have some functions available free to me right. You're probably reading this and rolling your eyes saying now what? Another issue with this same dude LOL. Hopefully after this issue I will be done LOL.