How do I upgrade my Acer Aspire laptop hd to a ssd? And can I upgrade my video card.

Guinnevtra

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
The guy that I had working on my laptop before I moved loved my computer, saying that it was a monster, but to me it is unbelievably slow...it has to continue loading even after I sign in, and it is a nice, three year old quadcore, regularly taken apart and cleaned. I want to upgrade to a ssd, but which one to pick, how to do it, and what is a good price to pay? I have a huge amount of memory, and want to keep it that way. I also cannot play any of my favorite online mmo-rpg games, I want to upgrade to a better video card if possible. I know that it is probably something welded to the mother board, but I know someone capable of handling that. How do I find something compatible, but is still an upgrade?

Solution
You can't upgrade the laptop. the old external video card kits where for connectors new laptops no longer have, PC Card/PCMCIA. And the cost of them would end up being the same or more than if you just bought a gaming system to begin with.

SSD upgrade is easy, but keep in mind that things will load after you logon no matter what disk you use.

Get a drive that will hold at least the amount of data you have on the system, or a drive that is larger than what you have now, then use a cloaning program to clone the drive to the SSD, you will need an external drive to hold the image, but since you should already have one for backups that's not an issue. And if you don't have an exteral drive for backups, go get one.

kunthakenthe

Estimable
May 20, 2014
i dont think gpu's can be changed in a laptop unless you want to connect it externally. Buy a 120gb or 250gb if you store lots of files. buy the samsung evo 840 120gb(80$) or 250gb(129$) these are the fastest ssds.for a 120gb 60-90$ for a 250gb 115-150$. they also have a 500$ for 200$.

Guinnevtra

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
I was reading somewhere that there is some kind of converter kit, but it may be connected externally. The article didn't say. That may be inconvenient on the go. Thanks for your help, kunthakenthe.

You can't upgrade the laptop. the old external video card kits where for connectors new laptops no longer have, PC Card/PCMCIA. And the cost of them would end up being the same or more than if you just bought a gaming system to begin with.

SSD upgrade is easy, but keep in mind that things will load after you logon no matter what disk you use.

Get a drive that will hold at least the amount of data you have on the system, or a drive that is larger than what you have now, then use a cloaning program to clone the drive to the SSD, you will need an external drive to hold the image, but since you should already have one for backups that's not an issue. And if you don't have an exteral drive for backups, go get one.

Solution