Solved! How do restart windows installation after it has failed to complete.

Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone, i am in an urgent problem at the moment. What happened is i removed my hard drive in order to access my files on my older hard drive however after i put it back it was misbehaving and i couldn't access anything without my pc restarting again and again or file explorer crashing.
I reset the pc and during Windows installation i been stuck at 88% ever since.
Its not ble to completing and says i must restart the installation but when i say okay we come back to the same point.
please help i need my pc back.

Solution
What are you using for windows installation media? USB drive? Recovery partition?

I am going to assume the recovery partition since you didn't mention using a drive.

The best way to go about this is find another computer and make a windows install usb drive. This will be a clean copy of windows and you can try the install on your current hard drive, and if it doesn't work you still have it available to try with another hard drive.

Here is a link to microsoft's website that will help you create recovery media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Apr 10, 2020
What are you using for windows installation media? USB drive? Recovery partition?

I am going to assume the recovery partition since you didn't mention using a drive.

The best way to go about this is find another computer and make a windows install usb drive. This will be a clean copy of windows and you can try the install on your current hard drive, and if it doesn't work you still have it available to try with another hard drive.

Here is a link to microsoft's website that will help you create recovery media.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution

gatorback94

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
Can you clone the drive with Clonezilla? Best to clone it to an SSD. Worst case: the problematic drive's data is copied and put in a USB enclosure for future access