how does a hard drive die?

Navibee

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I got a laptop just last year and the hard drive completely died, had to get it fixed professionally. My question is how does a laptop brand new diebjust like that?
I didn't drop it or over use it also

Solution
Lemons do not need any reason to die early, they just die whenever they feel like it and are likely caused by a material or manufacturing defect.

On the side of age-related failures, one of the most common failure modes is head crashes: a mechanical event or defect causes the head to touch the platters, scrape a bit of magnetic material off the platter, possibly slightly mess up one or more drive heads, the damaged sectors may end up "reallocated", rinse and repeat until the recording layer or heads are too badly damaged to remain usable.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Lemons do not need any reason to die early, they just die whenever they feel like it and are likely caused by a material or manufacturing defect.

On the side of age-related failures, one of the most common failure modes is head crashes: a mechanical event or defect causes the head to touch the platters, scrape a bit of magnetic material off the platter, possibly slightly mess up one or more drive heads, the damaged sectors may end up "reallocated", rinse and repeat until the recording layer or heads are too badly damaged to remain usable.

Solution