How Does the 3DS Work Without 3D Glasses?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I'm definitely getting one. I was thinking about getting a DSi XL or whatever with the bigger screens, but screw that, i'll just wait.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Ever since the DS came out, Nintendo have become the masters of applying technology and ideas that no one else will touch for fear of losing boatloads of money, and getting incredible returns for their ingenuity. This won't be any different. I doubt this is what Nintendo has in mind, and if it is, they will find a way to make it work better than Sharp had. For example, I propose maybe a hybrid of Sharp's Parallax barrier LCD as well as head tracking that allows the polarizing layer to dynamically adapt to the user's position. Whatever it is, you can bet Nintendo will a) make it work as intended, and b) do it for a price that's digestable to casual gamers.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]xaios[/nom]Ever since the DS came out, Nintendo have become the masters of applying technology and ideas that no one else will touch for fear of losing boatloads of money, and getting incredible returns for their ingenuity. This won't be any different. I doubt this is what Nintendo has in mind, and if it is, they will find a way to make it work better than Sharp had. For example, I propose maybe a hybrid of Sharp's Parallax barrier LCD as well as head tracking that allows the polarizing layer to dynamically adapt to the user's position. Whatever it is, you can bet Nintendo will a) make it work as intended, and b) do it for a price that's digestable to casual gamers.[/citation]
Right cause wasnt Nintendo losing before this generation?

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Gee ...I sure hope the 3d effect will work for existing games. Nvidia does that with thier drivers.

It will be so much more life like, pumping my "Love Plus" bride ...

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I've seen this technology in those Sharp monitors several years ago. It's a very minimal 3D effect. It didn't impress me then and I doubt it will on the 3DS. They would have been better off using parallel LCD's and polarized glasses. The effect would have been much better. Not to mention there's absolutely no 'cool' way to play a DS anyway, so why not look more dorky and don a pair of glasses.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Next for Nintendo: 3DS XL. A bigger 3DS![/citation]

wrong my friend. The Next will be 3DSi then they will release 3DSi XL. :)

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I was hoping it would be a holographic projection like the ones in Star Wars, and now you're telling me it's only different images going into each eye so that it makes me "see" 3D?? Very disappointed Nintendo, you can do better than that :)

G

it could be Holographic technology. Its about time, it is the year 2010. Maybe Nintendo Has perfected it. - even to the point where you could interact with 3d virtual objects in a set range.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]aje21[/nom]So you get half the horizontal resolution in stereoscopic 3D mode?I wonder if this like the system they use in some of the latest cars to allow the driver to see a sat-nav screen while the passenger sees a DVD?[/citation]

No but each eye probably gets 30 out of 60 frames a second (or 60 out of 120 but I doubt that) There is two layers this system works by switching on and off, imagine those old animated stickers where you look at it at one angle and then slowly turn it the image changes. Basicly they replaced the image part with a LCD screen and the top part with a polarized LCD on top of that to block the image for one eye at a time. If you could pause the image in time at 1 frame you could close your eye and see the image then close the other eye and see a blank screen.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]The military has used lasers to write 'Head Up Display' information directly to the retina before. Seems it would be the most effective way of doing 3D to me. It is not like this technology does not exist. Of course the military version required a helmet. Eye tracking hardware allows the disabled to type using eye movement. Their is no reason you couldn't have 8 of these on a console for a 4 player game without dividing screen real-estate. Commercial versions of laser projectors already exist.[/citation]

I heard this tech was abandoned due to burn in :)

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Having two adjacent screens and asking the user to go crosseyed wouldn't be popular then?

Heck, you wouldn't need new hardware even, but it might limit the useful playing time to around 1min before your eyes, head and whatnot hurt, plus the stylus would be awkward. But umm, no glasses needed (or glasses needed to avoid the crosseyed part)

Status
Not open for further replies.