how good is the nvidia geforce gt 740M 2gb?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kr0490

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Can it play games like shogun 2 and battlefield on high graphics. I'm trying to decide if I should by a laptop with it in it, but wanted to make sure it could play current games. Thanks!

pasitimusD

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014
Hi. I bought a toshiba laptop satellite l40-asx119. The specs are 8 GB ram (4 stock upgraded it to 8) core i5 4200U and Nvidia 740m GPU. When i play games like 2k14, the CPU temp reaches 81 C and GPU around 80+ as well. When i play battlefield 2, CPU reaches a whopping 90C and GPU even reached 100C. Am i missing something here? should i continue playing? Im already using some cheap external cooling fan. Idle and browsing temps are 50C CPU ave and 40-45 GPU average. All are measured by speccy. Also, is battlefield 4 heavier in terms of GPU load? cause battlefield 2 have no problems using medium settings. thanks!!

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

that is not normal at all if anything, cpu temps should never exceed 90c and gpu temps should never exceed 85c... i am going to guess you have a relatively new laptop so dust wont be a likely factor...so it pretty evident that the thermal paste job was horrid...if your warranty has already expired, then i highly suggest replacing the thermal paste with some arctic silver 5. laptops with this card that have no dust and replaced thermal paste never exceed 70c and cpu hover around mid 70s even in games like battlefield 4... room temperature is between 25-28 .. also friends of mine decided to go for the 128bit version and overclock the graphics card and have got very good results while keeping temps below 80c for the gpu.. hope this help m8 cheers.

pasitimusD

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

its ok now. i think with the latest driver update from nvidia my GPU temps wont go up 75 max. but i didnt notice any performance dip or whatever. my CPU now runs around 68-73 degs. Its summer when i posted those numbers so i will check again nxt summer if i got any improvement ^_^

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

that's good to hear dude, now you don't have to get your hands dirty :).. but always remember this . a dust free computer is a happy computer.. happy gaming :)

pasitimusD

Estimable
Feb 12, 2014

by the way, im planning to build a gaming rig this season, going to get a GTX 970 based gpu. but im a little bit short of budget. so im going cheap on my CPU. Will a pentium g3258 bottleneck a 970 gpu?

rannon

Estimable
May 24, 2014

no doubt about it dude, get at least a i5-4690k... if you want to overclock it . or the locked variant i5-4590..this cpu will definitely not bottleneck your gpu but spending a bit more and getting the "k" version will help future proof your cpu for quite a while. the Pentium with a overclock of 4.8Ghz will still be bottle-necking this gpu and firstly, it only has 2 cores, and secondly, it has no hyper-threading. hope this helps! , cheers!