How Google Stopped Itself From Buying Skype

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I really do think the profanity should have been censored on this article. I'm a bit shocked actually that it wasn't, while not offended it certainly was not expected.[/citation]
I wish I had more thumbs to turn down on you.

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
It's interesting that Microsoft didn't think of this too.. Buying Skype is a really bad business move for a company like Microsoft, and Google saw it. Maybe it would've been ok for Facebook to buy it seeing it doesn't have voip and it's chat feature works only with facebook contacts, but seriously, Microsoft, with it's huge dev/departments, MSN Messenger and live and all the other products? Really?? They couldn't just work a little on messenger and compete with skype? I was really impressed with the purchase of Skype, actually, it's more like disappointed, yes, not impressed, disappointed..

AerieC

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the whole thing about Chan "coming up with a plan" to "sabotage" the Skype deal sounds like a load of BS? If he was the guy "checking out Skype" and he thought it was a bad idea for Google to buy it, why wouldn't he just tell Sergey, "Hey, I think it's a bad idea to buy Skype based on my findings" instead of coming up with a half-baked plan where he pretends to think it's a good idea and Brin shoots him down?

Sounds to me like he actually thought buying Skype was a GOOD idea, and it just got shot down in the meeting. Now he's trying to turn it around and cover up the fact that he had a bad idea.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Well at least we know you're a big man who can 'handle' profanity...[/citation]

Well at least we know you're a complaining lil' bitch who can't 'handle' profanity

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]AerieC[/nom]Am I the only one who thinks the whole thing about Chan "coming up with a plan" to "sabotage" the Skype deal sounds like a load of BS? If he was the guy "checking out Skype" and he thought it was a bad idea for Google to buy it, why wouldn't he just tell Sergey, "Hey, I think it's a bad idea to buy Skype based on my findings" instead of coming up with a half-baked plan where he pretends to think it's a good idea and Brin shoots him down?Sounds to me like he actually thought buying Skype was a GOOD idea, and it just got shot down in the meeting. Now he's trying to turn it around and cover up the fact that he had a bad idea.[/citation]

I agree , unless the google billionaires are just super bored...

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I really do think the profanity should have been censored on this article. I'm a bit shocked actually that it wasn't, while not offended it certainly was not expected.[/citation]

illo gets up and says, ‘This is the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen.’

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Lots of hate over a comment about vulgarity. People need to stop throwing hissy fits every time this issue is brought up, and look at it with a more calm and respectful eye.

Profanity and vulgarity are neither professional nor respectful. Lewd references and euphemisms are neither professional nor respectful. Taunting others because they are asking for a little politeness and consideration is neither professional nor respectful.

In the case of this article, the author was quoting someone else relevant to the story, not speaking with his own voice, so censorship isn't necessary from a professional standpoint. But the censorship of the word in question would not have changed the meaning, intention, or context of the quote, so censorship would also have been acceptable.

It comes down to the policies of Best of Media and Tom's Guide, and whether they want to offer their news as raw and uncensored as they can, or to make their news accessible to the largest audience possible.

That being said, if the Tom's writers themselves use vulgarities or euphemisms, it seriously hurts the credibility and professional image of the company, and thus restricts the size of their audience.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Don't be such a fucking pussy

G

Having been involved in M&A and JV activities when I worked for AT&T, I'm sure both Google and Microsoft felt they could have built a better "Skype." They were looking at buying marketshare and customer bases. The product or company that is "first to market" historically tends to have and maintains a high market share in the industry. The characteristics of Skype's geographic customer base and how this customer base would help Google's or Microsoft's other business goals would be carefully analyzed. I cannot believe that Chan would lie to his boss and still expect to keep his job.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Then again nothing will beat Jane's "RIM: Jobs is Wrong; Seven Inches is Big Enough"http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Jim-Ba [...] -8386.htmlLet us never forget that article it will forever be the one that defines Jane's time here.[/citation]
I Like it! Good job Jane and PLEASE keep it coming.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
So Google didn’t buy Skype because it feared that its bandwidth will be eaten out by pear to pear communication, what a story!!

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
So Google didn’t buy Skype because it feared that its bandwidth will be eaten out by pear to pear communication, what a story!!

Status
Not open for further replies.