How is the ASUS strix 7.1?

Nayemur

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
How good is the asus strix 7.1 headset? Is it durable? Is it worth buying? Or should I buy a cheaper headset with virtual surround sound?

for that kind of money i would suggest a good pair of headphones, a soundcard and a modmic.

while from what i've heard its not terrible compared to other multi-driver headsets (and its one of the only 7.1 multi driver models) its not going to hold up to a good pair of headphones as far as quality is concerned. also, it should be noted that multi-driver surround headsets arent a seamless experience as you can generally tell when the individual drivers fire when sound encircle you. i think virtual surround (or just using wide soundstage headphones without any virtual surround) would be a bit more seamless.

ultimately up to you what route you want to go and what you like.

for the record, i dont own a pair.

Nayemur

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for your suggestions. I am quite newbie in terms of headset. Could you please suggest some model based on what you have said?
Previously I was using logitech g35. While it's sound quality is great, it's build quality is just crap. My one got broken within a year. So, I was looking for a new headset, and found out asus strix comes with true 7.1. So thought this might be good.

Thanks.

depends on what you're looking for in a headphone really..

ad500x/700x/900x are bass light, wide soundstage so excellent for gaming advantage in fps.
hd518/558/598 are fairly neutral, decent soundstage and laid back for long term listening
dt990 is good if you like both bright treble and deep bass with decent soundstage but given cost + amp costs (you need an amp for them) it will go over your budget

xonar dg is a good cheap soundcard, creative z is also a good card. both have virtual surround support.

if you absolutely need a headset the game one is based on the hd598 and the adg1 is based on the ad700x. you can use a soundcard with either to add virtual surround support.

Nayemur

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

I am not a hardcore gamer anymore. I play several hours each week. I play BF 2,3,4 and Project Cars. Besides this, I watch a lots of movie, and a very little music. So my target headset should be the one which will be good for game (i prefer a 7.1) and not bad for movie either.

To mention, my mainboard sound chipset is Realtek ALC892.