How KitKat Doesn't Fix Android's Central Flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmuser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
"Will those improvements finally make Android a match for Apple iOS, which has had an unbroken six-year streak of being malware-free?"

This is such misinformation. iOS had bunch of malwares, and only claims about "no malware" were for non-jailbroken devices. But then you should have compared that to non-sideloading Android ... and note that by default, sideloading is NOT enabled, just like by default iOS devices are not jailbroken.

AND even non-jailbroken iOS devices did have malware, like for example http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/07/07/there-is-too-malware-on-the-iphone/

So, you have two false claims, or bad reporting, issues:
1) you compare non-jailbroken iOS devices with Android devices where sideloading is enabled
2) even for non-jailbroken devices, your claim of "six-year streak" is false

TFrog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I agree with gmuser on the falsification of the article's claims but for another simple fact. NO and I mean NO operating system is without malware/virus issues. Even Linux which Android is loosely based on (Android uses the Linux kernel and a very sophisticated Java machine) has issues with virus' and malware. Maybe to a lesser extent than Windows or Apple but it's a case in point. Benjamin Franklin once stated that "there is no secret between three men unless the other two were dead."

gabrieldiego

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
If Android becomes walled-off like iOS, it will lose its main diferential. There are many apps that are not in the App Store for n reasons (like TubeMate) that I still need to sideload. Still if one would prefer the security of walling-off, just don't set the option or mind the apps that you are side-loading.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So, the issue isn't the OS, but the user? Since the OS has that option disabled by default (just like, say, USB debugging), why the fear-mongering? Is really simple: you don't know what you're doing, leave everything at default (secure). You do know, tinker with it as you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.