How Many Games Can You Install on PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
50gb seems kind of hefty for a game. I don't even think Crysis 3 was that large of a file to fit all that graphics code. I wonder what takes so much space compared to current gen?

StarBound

Honorable
May 26, 2013
We better see 1.5TB SSDs soon that is affordable by the man on the street. ...or that doesn't cost more than the PS4 itself.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
The nice thing about PS3/PS4 is the hot swappable HDD's you can toss in there, as well as external drives like others have said.

And it's not like HDD's are expensive or anything. 2 TB HDD's are going for roughly $100, which is more then plenty of space.

Xbox on the other hand...

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Meanwhile my home PC has 7TB of storage....lol, I wish they wouldn't stick to the smaller more expensive 2.5" HDD's although I'm sure they will.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
I think an external USB 3.0 drive is going to be the way to go. That way you're not limited to a single 2.5" drive. Heck, it might even be faster than the internal drive, if you get something with a reasonably fast 3.5". You could even potentially get something with two drives striped for even better speeds. I wonder what the max supported size is, and what filesystem they're using?

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I can't speak for PS4. but on PS3 alot of the games were larger then their PC equivalents was because they use less compression because of Blu-Ray. Consoles game are still mostly sold in physical medium versus PC which is almost all digital so PC games are usually more compressed to make the download sizes smaller.

virodeath

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
The question is the thickness of the 2.5" HD. That will determine the upgrade for the internal drive unless you use a cable and move the drive external. I believe also they said external storage would be disabled at launch also.

virodeath

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Need to also consider we don't know the size of the 2.5" HD. That will play a critical part of determining how large of upgrade we can do. I hope there is plenty room for varying thickness of hard drives. Unless you just get a cable and move the internal HD to an external HD then you can use whatever size you want.

I also believe I read an article saying the external storage on the X-Bone & PS4 would be disabled at launch for some reason.

virodeath

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Need to also consider we don't know the size of the 2.5" HD. That will play a critical part of determining how large of upgrade we can do. I hope there is plenty room for varying thickness of hard drives. Unless you just get a cable and move the internal HD to an external HD then you can use whatever size you want.

I also believe I read an article saying the external storage on the X-Bone & PS4 would be disabled at launch for some reason.

virodeath

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

virodeath

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Much of that content may be HD VIDEO that doesn't even require to be installed.

My average game is about 8GB. I wouldn't be surprised if Knack had 20+ GB of H.264 video cut scenes total ling somewhere between one and three hours.

I think a 25-game minimum installation is likely to be typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.