how much ambient noise do open backed headphones actually cut off

accentontheoff

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Am planning on buying a pair of open backed headphones for mixing music, because I suspect they'd be less boomy/bassy and would work better for my purpose. Problem is I live in a noisy, crowded area (traffic, dogs, occasional processions) and I'm not sure how much noise these headphones actually let in. Since I'm buying online I can't demo what I'm buying. The specs of these headphones also don't seem to mention anything about this aspect. Can anyone help or give pointers in this direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

almost none really. they are open which means they leak sound both in and out. one thing open cans do not do is block noise.

you can find closed cans which do not have heavy bass. while many closed cans tend to be a bit bassier and tend to have smaller soundstages compared to open cans this is not always true.

for example, the a500x (closed version of the ad500x) doesnt have much bass at all. akg cans and grado cans tend to not have any real low end bass but okay mid bass.

maybe the hd598cs if you dont mind a more laid back and less detailed sound.

if you're mixing music ideally you would want neutral cans instead of something bass light. the more neutral the can the more accurate to your file it will sound.

accentontheoff

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Thanks!!! Been hunting high and low for a week now and this is the first answer I'm getting. So I'm assuming the cans you mentioned are more neutral than others?

well, you would be hard pressed to find a truly neutral (flat response) headphone but generally any meant for studio or recording use are flatter than others. while this is "less exciting" its also "more accurate".

perhaps the akg k271 mk ii. fairly neutral but be advised if you want any bass extension at all you need an amp. they will drive without one but you wont get 100% out of them without.

the hd598 is fairly neutral, the closed version should be a little bit bassier with smaller soundstage from what i've heard though i havent seen it in person yet.

accentontheoff

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Yes got it, thanks. Will look up all the ones you've mentioned. I am using an Apogee Duet, first generation. Would you know what matches it ohms-wise. These are its specs from the Apogee site.

Input (Mic) = 8k Ohm
Input (Line) = 8k Ohm
Input (HI-Z) = 1M Ohm
Main Output = 470 Ohm
Headphone Output = 30 Ohm

accentontheoff

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
So, from what I understand most headphones should be fine. Tried reading up the link you shared, thanks, and more, but the topic of impedance, etc is a little out of my current depth :) will need to spend a lot more time on it. All the same the Beyerdynamic DT 7070 is available in 32, 80 and 250 ohms versions. I am guessing the 80 should be fine as the 250. That's where I am pointed at right now.

you mean the 770 i presume?
32 is easiest to drive but is the least desirable of the 3.
80 is the most bassy
250 has the most quality and clarity
all of them are decent though and have a v-shaped sound signature. they are not neutral cans though are certainly good ones.

they are easy to power but if you want to get the most out of bass, an amplifier is suggested.

accentontheoff

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Sorry yes 770. Can't afford a headphone amp right now, maybe later. So I guess the senheiser hd598cs is far more neutral? After all, am looking to mix not for listening pleasure. Thanks for your patience.

well, its certainly an option. there are of course other headphones you might like that i'm not familiar with.

i havent given the cs a listen but from what i've read of others impressions its got a smaller soundstage and a bit more bass than the other hd5xx lineup which tends towards fairly neutral on the hd598 end and a little more bassy than neutral on the hd518 end.