how much better is the gtx 970m over the 960m?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hey guys. I was eyeballing a couple laptops on sale. I've been really sick lately and am going to be kinda bedridden for the next few months so i wanted a decent laptop to play on. The two im looking at have a gtx960m and a gtx970m in them. I was wondering how big of a difference there i s between those two models. I seem tor recall the 970 and 980 use a totally different architecture over the 960m. However i cant seem to find any comparison benchmarks between them. Everything i find on the 970m is just vs the 980m with no comparison to the 960m.l Anyone know a good benchmark test i could look over or just happen to know how big the performance jump is? is it worth the $300 difference?

Cooling is a big issue for me. Every gaming laptop i've had has had serious heat issues. My last one was a 780m and that thing would kiss 90degrees before it cooled down to low 80's sometimes. Isn't that too hot? My old dell xps ran hot too and eventually fried the graphics card. So do these things actually run cool finally?

These are the two i was looking at btw
Sager np7155
http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7155.html
sager np8651
http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8651.html

I'll be throwing a SSD in them of course.

Any info is appreciated. Im getting sick of my 3ds =P

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Well did some looking around today and im pretty sure i want the 970 one. It has like a 20-65% increase over the 960 in the stuff i was looking at. Only thing im not sure on is the cooling but im assuming the 970 runs cooler?

Still looking for some feedback but going to add that im not sure what SSD to throw in there. the 256GB Micron m600 m.2, or the samsung 850EVO m.2. the Evo has great reviews but for me reliability and long life are more important than a boost in speed. Would the MLC micron be the better bet in that case? I think micron and crucial are the same company right?