How Much VRAM do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesleyT2

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016
I am building my computer in the next week I am still on the verge on one thing and that is how much vram I need. Currently I have a 1060 3gb on my pc part picker not sure if I need more. I will be playing not very heavy games and few heavy ones including cs:go Overwatch H1Z1 and GTA 5. I think that is enough not sure what do you think?

Solution
Hi WesleyT2.

When you ask such a question it all really comes down to what resolution you intend to play the game titles you wish on your system.

And also what Graphics detail and FX levels you also want to run your chosen game at.

As a rule the higher the intended screen resolution set and the graphical effects enabled withing a game requires the graphics card to have a larger storage capacity of GDDR 5 memory on it in GB.

The sad fact is you also need a more powerful Gpu chip in a graphics cards model range to be able to run the set screen resolutions and graphics settings.

And that is why you see much like the GTX 1060 Nvidia card you have has a maximum of 3Gb or GDDR 5 memory fitted to it.

But a GTX 1080 Nvidia card having...

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
A 1060 with 3gb of VRAM isnt really a 1060. The VRAM holds it back, and new AAA games need more than that at the settings levels a 1060 can perform at. I'd definitely go for the 6gb or get an RX 480.

I'd get a 1050Ti before a 1060 3gb simply because you are paying premium for the 1060's CUDA cores and architecture but cant utilise it's full capacity with that VRAM. It actually bottlenecks itself!! And that's a new one lol.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Hi WesleyT2.

When you ask such a question it all really comes down to what resolution you intend to play the game titles you wish on your system.

And also what Graphics detail and FX levels you also want to run your chosen game at.

As a rule the higher the intended screen resolution set and the graphical effects enabled withing a game requires the graphics card to have a larger storage capacity of GDDR 5 memory on it in GB.

The sad fact is you also need a more powerful Gpu chip in a graphics cards model range to be able to run the set screen resolutions and graphics settings.

And that is why you see much like the GTX 1060 Nvidia card you have has a maximum of 3Gb or GDDR 5 memory fitted to it.

But a GTX 1080 Nvidia card having 8Gb of GDDR 5 memory.

A Gtx 1060 Nvidia card is designed for mid gaming of games where a Higher resolution of 1080p or less is required.
Along with medium Graphical options set for most games and any extra special FX each game my have.

So for what you describe as your personal Goal when it comes to playing games it`s the perfect choice you made without breaking the bank, or having to empty all your pockets to play the games you wish !!!!.

Have fun and all the best !

Solution
If you're going to get the 1060, get the 6GB version.

At 1080p, 3GB VRAM is probably enough. That's what I have in my laptop (970m) and the only time I've bumped into the VRAM limit is with 200+ mods installed in Skyrim.

However, the 3GB 1060 and 6GB 1060 are actually differrent GPUs. The 3GB version only has 90% the shaders and texture mapping units that the 6GB version has. Shame on Nvidia's marketing for trying to trick people like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_10_series

Status
Not open for further replies.